Visiting Melbourne Central is a trip that can literally take days. Even if you spent only 10 minutes in each of the 300 shops, it would still take over 50 hours before the shopping was through. Granted—while it’s impractical to visit every shop—there’s still the time it takes to visit the sights within the center. Take, for example, historic Shot Tower—a bullet making facility from 1889 that’s housed within the shops. To protect the original structure from crumbling, an enormous, 20-story, cone made of glass protects the entire tower—a feat of architectural engineering that’s the largest of its kind in the world. While exploring the maze of eateries and shops, be sure to keep an eye on the time as it approaches the top of the hour. Every hour, on the hour, the famously oversized Marionette Watch sounds a version of “Waltzing Matilda,” an old bush ballad that’s considered the unofficial national anthem of Australia.
Ways to experience Melbourne Central
What are Melbourne Central hours of operation?
What's the best way to experience Melbourne Central?
- Great Ocean Road Trip Tour from Melbourne
- Small-Group Melbourne Sightseeing Tour
- Multicultural Food Tour in Melbourne Markets
- Phillip Island Penguins, Beach Boxes Plus Exclusive Wildlife Sanctuary Encounter
Things to do near Melbourne
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Mornington Peninsula
- Things to do in Phillip Island
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Great Ocean Road
- Things to do in Burnie
- Things to do in Launceston
- Things to do in Hobart
- Things to do in Seven Mile Beach
- Things to do in Port Arthur
- Things to do in Barossa Valley
- Things to do in Adelaide
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia