Explore Fitzroy Gardens at your own pace on a hop-on hop-off sightseeing tour, which allows you to disembark the bus whenever an attraction captures your attention, or delve deeper into the history of the green space on a city tour that’s designed with first-time visitors in mind. In addition to Fitzroy Gardens, tours typically cover other popular Melbourne sights such as Queen Victoria Market and St. Kilda; some include a cruise on the Yarra River.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Fitzroy Gardens is a must-visit park for history buffs and families.
- Though entrance to the park is free, you need to buy an admission ticket to enter Captain Cook’s Cottage.
- At the visitor center, you’ll find restrooms and a cafe selling hot and cold refreshments.
- Though some pathways are slightly uneven, most of Fitzroy Gardens is wheelchair and stroller accessible.
How to Get There
To get to the gardens on foot, walk east from Spring Street until you reach Lansdowne Street— which forms the gardens western edge—or alternately catch a tram along Flinders Street into Wellington Parade. If taking the free City Circle Tram, disembark at Spring Street.
When to Get There
Fitzroy Gardens Visitor Center is open daily from 9am–5pm; every Wednesday at 12:30pm, a free walking tour of the park departs from here. Cook’s Cottage follows the same opening schedule as the visitor centre and only closes on Christmas Day.
Green Spaces in Melbourne The city of Melbourne prides itself on its green spaces, which provide a relaxing escape from the bustle of the city center. Highlights include the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne, where plants pay homage to the aboriginal history of Australia; Flagstaff Gardens, which offers great views of CBD skyscrapers; and the Queen Victoria Gardens, which stretch alongside the Yarra River.
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Hobart
- Things to do in Adelaide
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in South Island