As both a commercial and culinary hub, Block Arcade is on the itinerary of plenty of Melbourne sightseeing tours, which focus on everything from food to fashion. Visit Block Arcade alongside some of the city’s culinary highlights—which include Queen Victoria Market and Chinatown—on a food tour or get an overview of Melbourne’s top attractions on an introductory tour, which tend to cover Fitzroy Gardens, Federation Square, and St. Patrick’s Cathedral, and transport you around the city with ease.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Block Arcade is a must-visit complex for shopaholics and food lovers.
- Twice weekly, the Block Arcade allows you to go behind the scenes on a tour; call ahead to book your place in advance.
- Elevators and level surfaces mean that Block Arcade is fully wheelchair and stroller accessible.
How to Get There
Enter the Block Arcade through its official entrance on Collins Street, via Elizabeth Street, or the pedestrian laneway off Little Collins Street. If using public transport, take tram number 19, 57, or 59, all of which stop directly outside of Block Arcade at the Collins Street/Elizabeth Street stop.
When to Get There
Block Arcade is open daily from morning until early evening; some shops operate different opening hours, so if you’re planning to visit a particular boutique then its worth checking in advance. Block Arcade looks most majestic during the holidays, when its adorned with Christmas decorations.
Tea and Treats
For lovers of sweet treats, no visit to Block Arcade would be complete without indulging at Haigh’s Chocolates and Hopetoun Tearooms, both equally renowned for their decadent delicacies. The former is the oldest family-owned chocolatier in Australia and is famous for its truffles, while Hopetoun Tearooms offers one of the most decadent afternoon tea experiences in the city—advance booking is essential.
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Hobart
- Things to do in Adelaide
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in South Island
- Visiting the Little Penguins
- How to Pick a Great Ocean Road Tour
- Wine Tasting in Yarra Valley
- Melbourne Street Art
- Shopping in Melbourne
- Holiday & Seasonal Tours
- Sightseeing on a Budget in Melbourne
- Don't Miss These Must-Do Activities in Melbourne
- Things to Do in Melbourne This Fall
- Things to Do in Melbourne This Spring
- Top Parks and Gardens in Melbourne
- Art Lover's Guide to Melbourne
- First-Timers Guide to Melbourne