Cheng Hoon Teng Temple
As one of Melaka’s most popular landmarks and a hub of the local Chinese community, Cheng Hoon Teng Temple often features in city sightseeing tours, including day trips from Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. Those curious about the Chinese heritage of Melaka can opt for a guided tour catered to this interest. Historical-themed walking tours often include the temple, along with Stadthuys, Christ Church, and Jonker Street.
Things to Know Before You Go
The temple is a must-see for history buffs and spiritual travelers.
This is an active place of worship, so remember to dress and act with respect.
The temple is free to enter, but donations are accepted.
How to Get There
The temple is located just off Jonker Street within walking distance of Stadthuys in Red Square. You can catch Bus 17 from the Melaka Sentral Station to Jonker Street and then continue on foot.
When to Get There
The temple is open daily throughout the year, including extended hours for Lunar New Year. To see the temple at its liveliest, plan to visit during the daily prayers each afternoon.
Festivals at Cheng Hoon Teng Temple
As a prominent community gathering place, the temple comes alive during a host of annual festivals. The biggest is Lunar New Year, when the complex stays open throughout the night. The winter solstice marks another important date on the Chinese calendar. During Dong Zhi Festival, families gather at the temple before staying up long into the night.
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Johor Bahru
- Things to do in Sentosa Island
- Things to do in Tanah Rata
- Things to do in Ipoh
- Things to do in Penang
- Things to do in Kuala Besut
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Krabi
- Things to do in Phuket
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Johor
- Things to do in Pahang
- Things to do in Perak
- Jonker Street (Jalan Hang Jebat)
- Baba & Nyonya Heritage Museum
- Malacca River (Sungai Melaka)
- The Shore Sky Tower
- The Shore Oceanarium
- Taming Sari Tower (Menara Taming Sari)
- Upside Down House Melaka
- Melaka Portuguese Square
- Illusion 3D Art Museum Melaka
- Magic Art Museum
- Malacca Crocodile Park (Taman Buaya & Rekreasi Melaka)
- Zoo Melaka (Malacca Zoo and Night Safari)
- Melaka Botanical Garden
- Melaka Bird Park