Calanque de Sormiou Tours and Activities
The calanques are narrow and steep inlets along the limestone coast of southern France, the most impressive ones being located along the little stretch of coastline between Marseilles and Cassis. They are romantic, wild and, being surrounded by huge cliffs, often protrude fjord-like into the landscape. While many calanques require hours of hiking or kayaking to reach, the Calanque de Sormiou is more easily accessible and still provides a true visual spectacle for visitors.
After a 15 minute drive or 45 minute walk from the main road down the hills, a sandy beach awaits next to the bright blue Mediterranean water. A couple weekend homes dot the landscape and then there is Le Château, the modest but immensely popular bouillabaisse restaurant that requires a phone reservation well ahead of time to snag a seat.
As sparse as the landscape might appear, Sormiou actually serves as a habitat for a rich flora and fauna. Over 900 plants grow here and birdwatchers will find many rare birds nesting in the steep cliffs. Swimming and sunbathing is popular, but the area is also crossed by numerous hiking trails, some more demanding than others, and the little bay is also a popular destination for visitors arriving by boat.
Tours and Activities to Experience Calanque de Sormiou
Frequently Asked Questions
- Sailing day in the heart of the Calanques
- Calanques Trilogy Electric Bike Tour from Marseille
- Sormiou Calanques National Park Electric Bike Tour from Marseille
- Sormiou, Morgiou, Sugiton: the essentials!
- Things to do in Provence
- Things to do in Marignane
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Toulon
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in St-Tropez
- Things to do in Fréjus Saint-Raphaël
- Things to do in Cannes
- Things to do in Nice
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Things to do in Languedoc-Roussillon