Marrakesh Museum (Musée de Marrakech)
Visitors can explore the Museum of Marrakech as part of a tour of Mumbai’s highlights, or on a self-guided tour. Tickets include access to the temporary exhibitions, housed in the palace’s old hammam. Highlights of the permanent collection include ceramics, jewels, arms, costumes, calligraphy, and a collection of Judaica, reflecting the diverse cultural history of the city. Also on display is a fascinating series of etchings, which show Morocco over the centuries.
Things to Know Before You Go
There is an admission fee to enter the museum.
Signage within the museum is in Arabic and French only.
On-site facilities include a café, gift shop, and restrooms.
How to Get There
The Marrakech Museum is located in the souks area of the medina and is best reached on foot; it’s about 15 minutes’ walk from Jemaa el-Fna square. It can be tricky to find your way amid the maze-like lanes of the medina, so it may be best simply to ask for directions to Ben Yousef Madrasa, which is right next door.
When to Get There
The museum is open from 9am to 6:30pm daily, year-round, and although small, it rarely gets crowded.
Marrakech’s Best Museums
Other museums of note are also located in the medina and can be reached on foot from the Museum of Marrakech. The Tiskiwin Museum is a restored riad (a house built around a courtyard) with a large display of North African arts and crafts. The Museum of the Palmery combines stunning gardens with traditional art, and the Photography Museum showcases photos of Marrakech through the ages.
- Things to do in Central Morocco
- Things to do in Ouarzazate
- Things to do in Essaouira
- Things to do in Agadir
- Things to do in Casablanca
- Things to do in Rabat
- Things to do in Hassilabied
- Things to do in Merzouga
- Things to do in Fez
- Things to do in Lanzarote
- Things to do in Arrecife
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Atlantic Coast
- Things to do in Morocco Sahara
- Photography Museum of Marrakesh (Maison de la Photographie de Marrakech)
- Ben Youssef Madrasa (Medersa Ben Youssef)
- Dar el-Bacha Street (Rue Dar el-Bacha)
- Dar el Bacha Museum of Confluences (Dar el Bacha Musée des Confluences
- Jemaa el-Fna (Djemaa el-Fna)
- Tiskiwin Museum (Musée Tiskiwin)
- Bahia Palace (Palais Bahia)
- El-Badi Palace (Palais el-Badi)
- Les Bains de Marrakech
- Saadian Tombs (Tombeaux Saadiens)
- Majorelle Garden (Jardin Majorelle)
- Koutoubia Mosque (Mosquée Koutoubia)
- Palmeraie (Palm Grove)
- Marrakech Medina (Medina of Marrakesh)
- Mohammed VI Museum of Water Civilization