Science and Industry Museum Tours
Read MoreShow Less
Delve into Manchester’s inventive and industrial heritage at the Science and Industry Museum. Housed in a building that served as the world’s first passenger railway station, the museum includes a wide collection of vintage vehicles, historical machinery, hands-on exhibitions, and other engaging offerings.
Manchester played a pivotal role during the Industrial Revolution, and it’s been known as a hub of innovation ever since. The Science and Industry Museum contains five exhibition areas: the 1830 Station, the 1830 Warehouse, the Power Hall, the New Warehouse, and the Air and Space Hall. The collection chronicles the city’s best-known breakthroughs and inventions, including everything from a replica steam locomotive to “Baby,” the world’s first stored-program computer and arguably the very start of modern computing.
Free to enter and open to the public daily, the museum is an excellent stop on city walking tours and cultural ventures, and can also be seen during hop-on hop-off bus tours of Manchester.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Science and Industry Museum is a must for families and those interested in the history of innovation.
- The museum is fully accessible to visitors with disabilities, and it also offers stroller parking.
- Interactive exhibitions are designed to appeal to visitors of all ages, while the museum’s Treasure Hunter app, complete with games and activities, keeps kids entertained.
- The Warehouse Café is a good place to grab a bite or a quick drink.
How to Get There
Located in the city center, the Science and Industry Museum can be accessed by multiple forms of public transportation. The free Metroshuttle stops nearby at Byrom Street, and the nearest Metrolink tram stop is Deansgate–Castlefield. The museum is within walking distance of Deansgate railway station; Oxford Road station is also nearby. Bicycle storage is available on-site.
When to Get There
In addition to permanent displays, the Science and Industry Museum hosts numerous temporary exhibitions as well as creative classes and events for families, so it’s worth checking the calendar before you visit to see what’s on. Engaging exhibits and an extensive collection mean families can easily spend half a day here. The museum is open daily 10am–5pm.
Liverpool Road Station
The Science and Industry Museum is as much a destination for its setting as for its exhibitions. After all, the museum is housed in a famed heritage site: the now-shuttered Liverpool Road Station, which first opened in 1830. The station was the original terminus for the first intercity railway in the world, and its original features have been carefully preserved.
Address: Liverpool Road, Castlefield, Manchester M3 4FP, England
5 Tours and Activities to Experience Science and Industry Museum
Hop on Hop Off
See more of Manchester in less time—and enjoy flexibility in your sightseeing schedule—with a hop-on hop-off bus tour. Tickets are valid for two calendar days, so disembark when and where you wish. The bus tour sets off from the city center and includes Manchester’s top attractions, from the neo-Gothic Town Hall to the National Football Museum. Learn about the sights as you go, thanks to the included audio commentary.
Explore the best of the Lake District on this 3-day experience from Manchester, including hotel or guesthouse accommodation and return transfers from Manchester. Enjoy our Lake District from Manchester Tour including highlights such as a lake cruise and visiting Tarn Hows & Hawkshead. You'll also join our High Adventure Tour which travels over two of the highest mountain passes in England, Wrynose & Hardknott, travel on a heritage ride and visit Muncaster Castle gardens. Finally you'll also experience our morning 1/2 day tour, including Six Lakes in a morning before traveling back to Manchester that afternoon.
- Explore Manchester in the Manchester Way - Tours are led by native Mancunions - Guaranteed departures, you book you go - Mandarin-speaking tour guide - Combining culture, history and engagement activities
- Explore Manchester in the Manchester Way - Taste the best English Afternoon Tea in Manchester - Tours are led by native Mancunions - Guaranteed departures, you book you go - Mandarin-speaking tour guide - Combining culture, history, engagement activities
- The Mandarin Walking tour is endorsed by VisitManchester - Explore Manchester in the Manchester Way - Tours are led by native Mancunions - Guaranteed departures, you book you go
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What's the best way to experience Science and Industry Museum?
The best ways to experience Science and Industry Museum are:
- Manchester Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Sightseeing Tour
- 3 Day Best of the Lake District Tour from Manchester
- Chinese-speaking Manchester Walking Tour by RobinGO
- Chinese-speaking Manchester Walking Tour and English Afternoon Tea by RobinGO
Things to do near Manchester
- Things to do in North West England
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in York
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Oxford
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in Bristol
- Things to do in Cardiff
- Things to do in Bath
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in Belfast
- Things to do in Yorkshire
- Things to do in North East England