Valldemossa and La Granja
Discover history in Mallorca during an excursion into the mountains. Valldemossa is built around a monastery that dates back to the 1300s (and is where Frederic Chopin composed some of his finest work). La Granja is known for its gardens with fountains and a wide variety of flowers. Several guided tours are available that include these destinations, including adventurous hiking tours and history-themed tours.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Valldemossa and La Granja are must-visit destinations for history buffs, families seeking educational experiences, and outdoors enthusiasts looking to see more than just the beach.
- Beyond day trips, Valdemossa is a lovely place for an overnight stay; it has fine dining and lodging plus a range of opportunities for outdoors activities including hiking.
- The road to reach Valldemossa is winding; travelers that get motion sickness should prepare in advance.
- Both Valldemossa and La Granja are home to cobbled streets or paths that may pose a challenge for wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
Valldemossa is only 17 kilometers (10 miles) from the capital of Mallorca, La Palma, but traveling along the winding roads into the mountains can be slow. Most visitors arrive by guided tour, bus, taxi, or rental car (but be aware that taxis may be more difficult to arrange from Valldemossa back to La Palma). La Granja is located 7 kilometers (4 miles) south of Valldemossa. It’s possible to visit both in one day trip.
When to Get There
Mallorca is largely a seasonal destination, with the majority of visitors arriving in the summer months. It is possible to plan a trip during the rest of the year, though flights significantly decrease outside of the summer season. Travelers looking to avoid the crowds may want to plan a trip during the spring or fall.
Events at La Granja Beyond its lovely gardens, La Granja attracts visitors with a variety of events. Free tastings of the farm’s jams and cheeses are regularly held in addition to crafts festivals, equestrian shows, and folkloric dancing.
- Things to do in Balearic Islands
- Things to do in Ibiza
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Benidorm
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Alicante
- Things to do in Algiers
- Things to do in Murcia
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Costa Blanca