Basilica de Sant Francesc
A Gothic-style church at the heart of Palma’s Old Town, the Basilica de Sant Francesc is one of the island’s most spectacular sights and historically significant structures. The basilica dates back to the 13th century when it was founded as a monastery. It has been known as one of the most famous churches on Palma since the Middle Ages.
The current sandstone facade was reconstructed in the 17th century after the original was struck by lightning. Its Baroque style is more typical of the Majorcan style. The inside of the basilica is just as impressive as its exterior, with high vaulted ceilings in classic Catalan Gothic style and ornate altar. Tombs and chapels line its walls, leading to its stunning medieval cloister filled with citrus and palm trees.
The statue outside the church is of Franciscan monk Junipero Serra. If his name sounds familiar, it might be because he went on to found the major cities in California - Los Angeles and San Francisco, among others. The church is considered a major landmark of Palma and is included in most all tours of the city.
Browse. Filter. Book.
What are Basilica de Sant Francesc hours of operation?
What's the best way to experience Basilica de Sant Francesc?
- Electric Scooter Tour in Palma de Mallorca
- 1 Hour Segway Tour in Palma de Mallorca
- 3 Hours E-Bike Tour in Palma de Mallorca
- Private Tapas & Wine Tour in Palma de Mallorca
Things to do near Mallorca
- Things to do in Balearic Islands
- Things to do in Ibiza
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Benidorm
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Alicante
- Things to do in Algiers
- Things to do in Torrevieja
- Things to do in Murcia
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Costa Blanca