Málaga Roman Theatre (Teatro Romano de Málaga)
The Roman Theatre sits at the foot of Alcazaba fortress in the city's cultural heart. The amphitheatre was active from the first century BC through the third century AD. The Moors then used it as a stone quarry for the adjacent fortress. Look for the theater’s Roman columns sprinkled throughout Alcazaba. Today, the amphitheater hosts concerts and plays. Stop by its visitor center to see excavated artifacts. Many city tours stop at the Roman Theatre.
Things to Know Before You Go
The theater is not wheelchair accessible.
Access to the Roman Theatre is free through the visitor center.
Smoking is prohibited at the archeological site.
Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Large bags are not permitted.
Wear sturdy shoes to explore the amphitheater as stones may be uneven, and there are many steps.
How to Get There
You can get close to the theater by car or bus. From the Málaga Airport - Costa del Sol is about 11 miles (18 kilometers) for about an 18-minute drive northeast to the site. You can also take bus line 1 or 37 to the Alcazaba stop.
When to Get There
The theater and center are open Tuesday through Saturday from midmorning to early evening, with a slightly earlier close on Sunday and holidays. Málaga Roman Theatre has been known to close unexpectedly due to inclimate weather, so check the forecast beforehand. Visitors will not be allowed access to the site 30 minutes before closing.
Visit the Alcazaba
Check out the Alcazaba, a palatial fortification that dates back to the 11th century. Built during the Hummudid dynasty, the Alcazaba is the best preserved Moorish palace and fortress in all of Spain with the bonus of ornamental gardens. Venture there for panoramic views of the city and to appreciate the Moors' ingenious design tricks.
- Things to do in Andalucia
- Things to do in Marbella
- Things to do in Benahavis
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Tarifa
- Things to do in Cordoba
- Things to do in Tetouan
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Tangier
- Things to do in Fez
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Alicante
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Costa del Sol
- Things to do in Northern Morocco
- Malaga Alcazaba
- Museo Picasso Málaga
- Plaza de la Merced
- Pablo Picasso Birthplace Museum (Museo Casa Natal de Picasso)
- Malaga Cathedral (Cathedral de la Encarnación)
- Revello de Toro Museum (Museo Revello de Toro)
- Peña Juan Breva Flamenco Art Museum (Museo de Arte Flamenco de la Peña Juan Breva)
- Constitution Square (Plaza de la Constitucion)
- MIMMA (Museo Interactivo de la Música)
- Cervantes Theatre (Teatro Cervantes)
- Palmeral de las Sorpresas
- Hammam Al Ándalus Málaga
- Malaga Park (Parque de Malaga)
- Carmen Thyssen Museum (Museo Carmen Thyssen)
- Centre Pompidou Málaga