Malaga Cathedral (Cathedral de la Encarnación)
Despite its impressive size and elaborate interior, the Málaga Cathedral lacks a matching bell tower and is technically unfinished, garnering the name La Manquita (or “the one-armed woman”). Though it’s not known for sure why the cathedral remains incomplete, a plaque on the side of the building states that funds were donated to help the United States colonies gain independence from British rule. After touring the inside, explore the cathedral’s small museum, or wander the beautiful gardens. And if you’re up for a bit of cardio, climb the more than 200 stairs to the rooftop.
Many Málaga city tours stop by the cathedral.
Things to Know Before You Go
The cathedral and its gardens are accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
While access to the gardens is free, there’s a small entry fee for the cathedral and museum. Rooftop access is extra.
The cathedral has a separate entrance for worshippers.
Guided tours of the cathedral’s roof and bell tower are offered in English and Spanish.
How to Get There
The cathedral is located in the heart of Málaga’s historic center, and parking can be challenging—if you’re driving, look for a space at Plaza María Guerrero, about a 5-minute walk away. Taxis are a convenient option.
When to Get There
The cathedral is typically open to visitors Monday through Saturday; rooftop tours usually run Tuesday through Sunday. Mass is held on Sundays and holidays.
While You’re There, Visit the Iglesia del Sagrano
Adjoining the cathedral is the smaller Iglesia del Sagrano. Founded in the 15th century, this church was constructed in an unusual rectangular shape and features its original Isabelline-Gothic doorway and entrance. The structure was rebuilt in 1714 and boasts a richly decorated interior.
- Things to do in Andalucia
- Things to do in Marbella
- Things to do in Benahavis
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Tarifa
- Things to do in Cordoba
- Things to do in Tetouan
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Tangier
- Things to do in Fez
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Alicante
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Costa del Sol
- Things to do in Northern Morocco
- Revello de Toro Museum (Museo Revello de Toro)
- Museo Picasso Málaga
- Constitution Square (Plaza de la Constitucion)
- Malaga Park (Parque de Malaga)
- Carmen Thyssen Museum (Museo Carmen Thyssen)
- Málaga Roman Theatre (Teatro Romano de Málaga)
- Hammam Al Ándalus Málaga
- Palmeral de las Sorpresas
- Marina Square (Plaza de la Marina)
- Sacred Heart Church Málaga (Sagrado Corazón Málaga)
- Peña Juan Breva Flamenco Art Museum (Museo de Arte Flamenco de la Peña Juan Breva)
- Centre Pompidou Málaga
- MIMMA (Museo Interactivo de la Música)
- Malaga Alcazaba
- Plaza de la Merced