The Piazza dell'Anfiteatro is a large square in the center of historic Lucca. As the name suggests, it was once the site of a Roman amphitheatre, one that was built in the first century and could hold up to 10,000 people. The remains of that structure now lie more than nine feet underground, but the oval shape of the piazza is a direct result of the outline of the amphitheatre.
The Piazza dell'Anfiteatro was built in 1830 by demolishing some buildings that had been constructed in the space. It became the site of the town's market, and is the heart of the old city today.
Browse. Filter. Book
What's the best way to experience Piazza dell'Anfiteatro?
- Walking Tour and Exploration of Lucca
- Lucca Highlights Private Walking Tour
- Enjoyable music tour of the historical city of Lucca
- Lonely Planet Experiences: Lucca Aperitivo Tour with Food & Wine
Things to do near Lucca
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Livorno
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in La Spezia
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Chianti
- Things to do in Maranello
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Modena
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Emilia-Romagna
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria