Santo Amaro Docks (Docas de Santo Amaro)
Because of its position on the waterfront, Santo Amaro Docks is a prime spot for al fresco lunches, dinners, and late-night drinks, and is generally considered a slightly more upscale and less raucous nightlife option than the busy bar-filled Bairro Alto. Some boat tours along the Tagus River set sail from the marina here, gliding past top sights such as the Belem Tower (Torre de Belém) and St. George's Castle (Castelo de São Jorge). Some Segway and bike tours of Lisbon follow the waterfront path from Parque das Nacões to Belém, passing by Santo Amaro Docks.
Things to know before you go
- Santo Amaro Docks is an atmospheric dinner and drinks destination, making it a must for couples and nightlife lovers.
- For an even more romantic experience, opt for a sunset cruise.
- The traffic on the bridge can be heard from the docks, and can be noisy during busy times.
How to get there
The docks are situated along the waterfront between Baixa and Belem. To get there, take the Cascais line train from Cais do Sodré to Alcântara then walk toward the 25th of April Bridge.
When to get there
Much of the joy of visiting Docas is to simply stroll or sit down and soak up the views of the river and the bridge. For this reason, it’s best to visit between April and early October when pleasant, sunny conditions are more likely. If you’re coming for dinner, aim to get here between 8pm and 10pm. Bars and clubs at the docks stay open until the early hours.
25th of April Bridge
The bars and restaurants of Docas offer some of the best views of a Lisbon icon: the 25th of April Bridge. Named after the Carnation Revolution—a 1974 military coup which brought down the tyrannical Estado Novo regime—this large red suspension bridge was modeled after San Francisco’s Bay Bridge, though its scarlet color has led to more comparisons with San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge.
- Things to do in Sintra
- Things to do in Cascais
- Things to do in Setubal District
- Things to do in Coimbra
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Albufeira
- Things to do in Faro
- Things to do in Porto
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Santiago de Compostela
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Alentejo
- Things to do in Beiras
- Things to do in The Algarve
- Pillar 7 Experience at the Ponte 25 de Abril
- Pena National Palace (Palacio Nacional da Pena)
- Orient Museum (Museu do Oriente)
- Lisbon Cruise Port
- Tagus River (Rio Tejo)
- 25th of April Bridge (Ponte 25 de Abril)
- National Museum of Ancient Art (NMAA)
- Electricity Museum (Museu da Electricidade)
- National Coach Museum (Museu Nacional dos Coches)
- Basilica da Estrela
- Ajuda National Palace (Palacio Nacional Ajuda)
- Estrela Garden (Jardim Da Estrela)
- Belém Palace (Palacio de Belém)
- Casa Fernando Pessoa