Lisbon Maritime Museum (Museu de Marinha)
Sometimes translated Marine Museum, the Maritime Museum’s vast collection offers a comprehensive overview of Portugal’s naval discoveries and achievements. Discover armadas of model boats, ancient globes studied by the country’s first explorers, and tethered maps used to navigate the seas.
Hop-on hop-off sightseeing bus tours to Belem typically include a stop at the Maritime Museum, right in the center of the neighborhood, and can also include a cruise along the Tagus River.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Maritime Museum is a must-visit for history and maritime buffs.
Though the museum is a part of the Monastery of St. Jerome (Mosteiro dos Jerónimos), there is a small, separate admission fee to enter.
Holders of the Lisboa Card receive discounted admission.
Weekends offer a number of interactive and creative activities for children.
The museum is accessible to wheelchair users.
How to Get There
The Maritime Museum is located in the Monastery of St. Jerome. Take tram 15 to the tourist center of Belem and get off at the Jeronimos Monastery. Alternatively, ride bus 714, 727, 28, 729, 751, or 201 to the museum, or the Cascais train line from Cais do Sodre to Belem station.
When to Get There
The museum is open daily from 10am to 6pm from May 1 to September 30, and from 10am to 5pm from October 1 to April 30. It is closed on January 1, Easter Sunday, May 1, and December 25. Lisbon is quite crowded during the summer months, so consider visiting between October and June for a quieter experience.
In 1863 King Luis I began collecting sailing items from the Age of Discovery (primarily the 15th century) to preserve Portugal’s history. The collection grew and grew, and 100 years later, the Portuguese government opened the doors to the Maritime Museum. Today the establishment is operated by the Portuguese Navy, and proudly displays maritime objects and artifacts from Portugal and beyond.
- Things to do in Sintra
- Things to do in Cascais
- Things to do in Setubal District
- Things to do in Coimbra
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Albufeira
- Things to do in Faro
- Things to do in Porto
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Santiago de Compostela
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Alentejo
- Things to do in Beiras
- Things to do in The Algarve
- National Archaeology Museum (Museu Nacional de Arqueologia)
- Monastery of St. Jerome (Mosteiro dos Jeronimos)
- Berardo Collection Museum (Museu Colecao Berardo)
- Monument to the Discoveries (Padrão dos Descobrimentos)
- Belém Palace (Palacio de Belém)
- National Coach Museum (Museu Nacional dos Coches)
- Belém Tower (Torre de Belém)
- Electricity Museum (Museu da Electricidade)
- Ajuda National Palace (Palacio Nacional Ajuda)
- Lisbon Cruise Port
- Pillar 7 Experience at the Ponte 25 de Abril
- Pena National Palace (Palacio Nacional da Pena)
- Vasco da Gama Aquarium (Aquário Vasco da Gama)
- Santo Amaro Docks (Docas de Santo Amaro)
- 25th of April Bridge (Ponte 25 de Abril)