Lisbon Cathedral (Sé de Lisboa)
As one of Lisbon’s major landmarks, Sé Cathedral is included in most city sightseeing tours, along with other notable attractions like the Castle of São Jorge, St. Anthony of Padua Church, the Alfama district, and the Tower of Belem. While the cathedral itself is free, the cloister charges a small entrance fee.
Things to Know Before You Go
See the cathedral as part of a small-group or private city tour.
The cathedral is free to enter, but it’s worth paying the small fee to tour the Gothic cloister.
Remember to dress respectfully, as this remains a functioning religious site.
How to Get There
There are several ways to reach the cathedral, located in Baixa. Ride the metro to Rossio station, just a short walk away, or hop aboard Lisbon’s quaint yellow tram—Route 28 passes right in front of the cathedral.
When to Get There
The Lisbon Cathedral is open daily to visitors, and there isn’t really a bad time to visit. If you want to see the cathedral in action, plan to attend an evening mass (in Portuguese).
Other Attractions in Baixa
The cathedral sits in the heart of the Baixa, Lisbon’s bustling downtown and a candidate for UNESCO World Heritage status. While in the neighborhood, take a stroll along the grand Rua da Augusta, ride the wrought iron Elevador Santa Justa lift, climb the Arco da Rua Augusta for panoramic views, and sip some ginja (a sweet cherry-like liqueur).
- Things to do in Sintra
- Things to do in Cascais
- Things to do in Setubal District
- Things to do in Coimbra
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Albufeira
- Things to do in Faro
- Things to do in Porto
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Santiago de Compostela
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Alentejo
- Things to do in Beiras
- Things to do in The Algarve
- José Saramago Foundation (Fundacao José Saramago)
- The Escape Hunt Experience
- Lisboa Story Centre
- Commerce Square (Praça do Comércio)
- Arco do Triunfo (Arco da Rua Augusta)
- Castelo de Sao Jorge (St. George's Castle)
- Baixa District (Lower Town)
- Santa Justa Lift (Elevador de Santa Justa)
- Tram 28
- Praça da Figueira
- Fado Museum (Museu do Fado)
- Rossio Square (Praça de Dom Pedro IV)
- National Museum of Contemporary Art (Chiado Museum)
- Carmo Square (Largo do Carmo)