The modernist masterpiece of Parisian architect Robert Mallet-Stevens, Villa Cavrois is a National Historic Monument in the Lille suburb of Croix. Built in 1932 for its namesake, the industrialist Paul Cavrois, the architectural landmark has been painstakingly restored and stands as the foremost example of Mallet-Stevens’ work.
Visitors can explore the villa on a self-guided tour, where exhibitions detail the building’s groundbreaking design, the work of Mallet-Stevens, and the 13-year restoration project completed in the 21st century. A tour takes in the home’s spacious interiors, including the kitchen and bedrooms; the view from the rooftop terraces; and the landscaped gardens, featuring a 236-foot-long (72-meter-long) water mirror.
Things to Know Before You Go
Book skip-the-line tickets in advance for a hassle-free visit.
Entrance to Villa Cavrois is included in the Lille City Pass.
Combination tickets are available for Villa Cavrois, the Manufacture de Roubaix, and the Musée La Piscine de Roubaix.
Audio guides are available, and a video (with English subtitles) tells the story of the restoration.
Some parts of the villa are wheelchair-accessible.
How to Get There
Villa Cavrois is located in Croix, around a 30-minute drive northeast of downtown Lille. Take the tram from the Old Town (Vieux Lille) to the Villa Cavrois stop, from which the villa is about a 10-minute walk.
When to Get There
The villa is open every day except Monday, but it rarely gets overcrowded. Budget travelers can make the most of free admission on the first Sunday of the month, from November to March.
An Architecture Tour of Lille
Other architectural highlights in Lille include the Palais des Beaux-Arts museum, with its elaborate belle epoque facade; the Gothic-style Church of Saint-Maurice; and the 17th-century houses known as Le Rang du Beauregard. Modern landmarks include the Lille Grand Palais concert hall, the work of Koolhaas; the 394-foot-high (120-meter-high) glass-fronted Tour de Lille; and the cylindrical Nouveau Siècle de Lille.
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Paris
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Deauville City
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in South Holland
- La Piscine Museum (Musée d'Art et d’Industrie André Diligent)
- La Manufacture de Roubaix
- Lille Métropole Museum of Modern, Contemporary and Outsider Art (LAM)
- Le Fresnoy National Studio for Contemporary Arts (Le Fresnoy Studio National des Arts Contemporains)
- Science Forum (Forum Departmental Des Sciences)
- Maison Folie Hospice d'Havré
- Museum of the Gunners in Lille (Musée des Canonniers Sédentaires de Lille)
- Hospice Comtesse Museum (Musée de l'Hospice Comtesse)
- Birthplace of Charles de Gaulle (Maison Natale de Charles de Gaulle)
- Lille Cathedral (Cathédrale Notre-Dame-de-la-Treille)
- Lille Old Town (Vieux Lille)
- Lille Town Hall and Belfry (Beffroi de l'Hôtel de Ville de Lille)
- Grand Place
- Lille Natural History Museum (Musée d'Histoire Naturelle de Lille)
- Lille Museum of Fine Arts (Palais des Beaux Arts de Lille)