La Flor Dominicana Cigar Factory
Even those who aren't cigar smokers will find a tour of the La Flor Dominicana Cigar Factory a fascinating excursion. Tours follow the journey of tobacco leaves through the production facilities, including the rolling, aging, and fermenting rooms, to see the cigar making process in action. Masters tastings are also offered, where travelers can interact with the producers behind the very cigars they get to smoke.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Don’t forget your camera, as the cigar factory is full of interesting cultural photo ops.
- Tours of the cigar factory last about an hour.
- An on-site shop—one of the largest cigar shops in the Caribbean—sells cigars you can buy and take home with you.
- Smoking is not allowed on the tour or in the factory; save your cigars for later.
How to Get There
The factory is located just outside La Romana, less than 5 minutes from the La Romana International Airport. With no public transportation to the facility, the best way to get there is to drive or join a guided tour.
When to Get There
Tours are available throughout the day, seven days a week. It’s a good idea to book a tour before arriving to avoid disappointment.
Rum and Cigars in the Dominican Republic If this slice of Caribbean paradise is known for anything, it’s cigars and rum, two products that go hand in hand. Travelers interested in these exports should start their explorations at the Rum and Tobacco Museum in Colonial City. The resort area of Puerto Plata is home to the Brugal Rum Factory, where visitors can learn more about how the sugarcane-based spirit is produced. Other factories that offer tours include the Don Lucas Cigar Factory, La Aurora, PDR Cigars, and Tabacalera García.
- Things to do in Punta Cana
- Things to do in Samaná
- Things to do in Santo Domingo
- Things to do in Arecibo
- Things to do in Puerto Plata
- Things to do in Luquillo
- Things to do in Fajardo
- Things to do in Philipsburg
- Things to do in Oranjestad
- Things to do in Kralendijk
- Things to do in Kingston
- Things to do in Ocho Rios
- Things to do in St Maarten
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in New Providence Island