Proyecto Asis Wildlife Rescue Center Tours
Read MoreShow Less
Proyecto Asis is a wildlife rescue center focused on the protection and rehabilitation of native animals. Visitors can tour the facilities, take Spanish classes, or volunteer to help care for the animals, whose natural habitats are often threatened by expanding development in the region.
Parrots, monkeys, kinkajou, and peccaries are a few of the species that call the rescue center home. Some of these neglected or abandoned creatures are even able to be rehabilitated and released back into the wild. A visit to the center is an excellent way to see the animals up close, while simultaneously learning and contributing to the preservation of local wildlife. There are also tours, homestays, and more extensive volunteer programs available.
Things to Know Before You Go
- During tours that include volunteer time, you will help prepare food and feed the animals.
- Children under 6 years old must be supervised by a parent or guardian.
- Bring insect repellent and wear closed-toe shoes.
How to Get There
Proyecto Asis is located in the Arenal Volcano area. From La Fortuna, take Route 142 east and follow signs for Javillos. The wildlife center is located on the right-hand side of the road. There are also local buses from/to Ciudad Quesada, La Fortuna, and surrounding cities. The center is a 2.5-hour drive from San José.
When to Get There
Reservations are required in advance. Visits can last from 1.5 hours to multiple days, depending on the option chosen. Daily tours typically start in the morning and early afternoon. Because you’ll be spending time outdoors, the best time to visit the region is from December to mid-April, when weather conditions are ideal.
Kalambu Hot Springs Water Park
Another popular family-friendly attraction, the Kalambu Hot Springs Water Park in Arenal, offers an interactive play area and impressive slides, plus relaxing heated thermal pools. It’s a 35-minute drive from Proyecto Asis and is open late for those looking for an activity after visiting the rescue center.
Address: 141, La Fortuna, Costa Rica
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Proyecto Asis Wildlife Rescue Center
No results found!
Things to do near La Fortuna
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in La Fortuna de San Carlos
- Things to do in Monteverde
- Things to do in Puntarenas
- Things to do in Alajuela
- Things to do in San Jose
- Things to do in Liberia
- Things to do in Jaco
- Things to do in Santa Cruz
- Things to do in Managua
- Things to do in Panama City
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in San Blas Islands
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Guanacaste and Northwest