Shoren-in Temple Tours
Read MoreShow Less
Historically, the head priests of Shoren-in Temple were members of Japan’s imperial family. In fact, a 12th-century emperor built the temple originally as a residence for his son to study alongside a prominent priest of the time. The temple’s stately pedigree matches the allure of its tranquil natural surroundings. Shoren-in Temple rests at the foot of Kyoto’s Higashiyama mountains. Standing outside of the main temple building, trees tower above, and the wooded forest encircles the entire complex.
Shoren-in Temple is known for being quiet and peaceful, a respite from hustle and bustle of the city. Visitors are invited to walk through the rooms of the temple. These include a drawing room, where the main attraction is intricately painted fusuma, or traditional sliding doors. The drawing room opens to a pond, where visitors often go to meditate. The main hall is the primary place of worship. Outside of the temple are several walking paths. Some circle a garden, while another leads up to a teahouse.
Shoren-in Temple is located in Kyoto’s Higashiyama District near Chion-in Temple. It’s easily accessible by a short walk from Higashiyama Station on the Tazai Subway Line. The temple is open from 9 am to 5 pm every day. There is a 500 yen ($5 USD) entry fee. The most popular time to visit is during the spring and autumn, when the temple illuminates the gardens, showcasing the brilliant foliage colors.
Address: 69-1 Sanjobo-cho Awataguchi Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto, Japan
Admission: 500 Yen
2 Tours and Activities to Experience Shoren-in Temple
Step into an authentic Japanese rickshaw for the ride of a lifetime, through some of the most scenic and historic districts in Kyoto, Japan. You have the option of exploring the verdant Bamboo Grove and impressive shrines of west Kyoto’s Arashiyama district or the intriguing wooden buildings and stone alleys (maybe even spotting a geisha or two) in Kyoto’s famed Higashiyama area, all with a knowledgeable local guide and rickshaw driver. This authentic, customizable Kyoto adventure is a fun introduction to this beautiful city.
Price varies by group size
Price varies by group size
Taking safety measures
Face masks required for guides in public areas
Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
Gear/equipment sanitized between use
* we provide interesting tours !! * If you want to explore Kyoto, you should choose the Biking tour because a bus or walking tour takes much longer time to arrive at your destinations.By riding bikes with us, you will be able to visit some famous spots within relatively short period of time because we use some back streets. You may think this 3 hours bike ride is too long for you ,, but we will guide you with a lot of descriptions of Japanese and Kyoto culture so you will not become bored with us.Also visiting a real temple and trying real Green tea will be one of the most memorable experiences in Kyoto! Let's enjoy riding bikes and take great photos to maximize your Kyoto trip! Jump on a bicycle and enjoy the unique sights of Kyoto.Pedal through temples, stroll among shrines, and sip green tea while viewing exquisite hidden gardens.In addition we will take you to see some delightful unexpected sights.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What's the best way to experience Shoren-in Temple?
Things to do near Kyoto
- Things to do in Kansai Prefecture
- Things to do in Nara
- Things to do in Osaka
- Things to do in Izumisano
- Things to do in Takamatsu
- Things to do in Kanazawa
- Things to do in Nagano
- Things to do in Imabari
- Things to do in Tokyo
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Nara Prefecture
- Things to do in Osaka Prefecture
- Things to do in Kagawa Prefecture