Kyoto Station is far more than a busy transport hub – it’s an attraction in its own right featuring shopping malls, multiple restaurants, and many other things to see and do. This modern, almost futuristic building stands in direct contrast to the traditional buildings found in the city; the station's vast main hall features an exposed-steel beamed roof, and historical aspects of Kyoto are filtered through a modern lens.
Those looking for some retail therapy will enjoy Kyoto Station’s Isetan department store, Porta underground shopping mall, and Cube shopping mall. There are some great food courts to be found within each of these, with popular eateries such as Kyoto Ramen Koji and Eat Paradise for those who need refueling.
Aside from shopping and eating, there is an open-air observation deck on the station’s top floor, which can be reached via a series of escalators and an additional flight of stairs. From here, views of the city unfold before you (albeit through heavily tinted windows). Elsewhere, the Skyway Tunnel will allow you to walk the length of Kyoto Station some 45 meters above the main hall, revealing views of both the city and station below.
Various day and night tours of the city depart from Kyoto Station. You can also enjoy a day trip by arriving into the station on a Kyoto rail tour by bullet train from Tokyo.
Ways to experience Kyoto Station
Browse. Filter. Book.
What are Kyoto Station hours of operation?
What's the best way to experience Kyoto Station?
- 4 Hours In Kyoto With A Local: Private & Personalized
- Kyoto Private Night Tour: From Gion District To Old Pontocho, 4 Hours
- Private Tour - Explore Kyoto's Famous Spots and Station Building by Foot!
- Private All Inclusive Kyoto Station Area Deep Dive
Things to do near Kyoto
- Things to do in Kansai Prefecture
- Things to do in Nara
- Things to do in Osaka
- Things to do in Izumisano
- Things to do in Takamatsu
- Things to do in Kanazawa
- Things to do in Nagano
- Things to do in Imabari
- Things to do in Tokyo
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Nara Prefecture
- Things to do in Osaka Prefecture
- Things to do in Kagawa Prefecture