One of the main highlights of the collection is a reconstruction of the prehistoric human settlement at Niah Caves, believed to be the oldest human settlement on the island of Borneo. See the highlights of the museum and tick off other top Kuching attractions on a half- or full-day sightseeing tour, which tend to cover Fort Margherita, Tua Pek Kong Chinese Temple, and the State Mosque. Tours let you skip the hassle of navigating an unfamiliar city alone by typically including hotel pickup and drop-off.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Sarawak Museum is a must-visit for history buffs and travelers interested in tribal culture in Borneo.
- There is free Wi-Fi throughout the museum, in addition to restrooms and a gift shop.
- The restaurant at Sarawak Museum serves both Malaysian and western cuisine.
- Admission to the museum is free.
How to Get There
From Kuching Waterfront, Sarawak Museum is a 10-minute walk. You can take a taxi to the museum or visit as part of a sightseeing tour that transports you around the city in air-conditioned comfort.
When to Get There
Sarawak Museum is open from Monday to Friday between 9am and 4:45pm and between 10am and 4pm on weekends and public holidays. Last admission taking place an hour before closing. Around 45 minutes to one hour is sufficient time to take in all of the museum exhibits.
Tun Abdul Razak Exhibition Hall
Across the street from the old museum is the Tun Abdul Razak Exhibition Hall, so named after Malaysia’s second prime minister. Peruse colorful prehistoric pottery and admire a traditional Iban war boat, capable of transporting up to 25 people. Also on the grounds of the Exhibition Hall are replicas of mysterious rock carvings and structures found in a nearby mangrove swamp which, until their discovery, had only been encountered before in the Bornean interior.
- Things to do in Sarawak
- Things to do in Sentosa Island
- Things to do in Kota Kinabalu
- Things to do in Jakarta
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Sandakan
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Sabah
- Things to do in West Java
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Things to do in East Java
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam
- Kuching Mosque (Old State Mosque)
- Kuching Old Court House
- Kuching Waterfront (Esplanade)
- Square Tower
- Fort Margherita
- Kuching Cat Statues
- Tua Pek Kong Chinese Temple
- Satok Market
- Kuching Cat Museum
- Sarawak Cultural Village (SCV)
- Semenggoh Nature Reserve
- Matang Wildlife Centre
- Kubah National Park
- Bako National Park