Kuching Cat Statues
Among Kuching’s more unusual attractions are the series of kitschy cat statues scattered throughout the city. The Malay word for cat sounds similar to Kuching, and the city government took full advantage by nicknaming Kuching “Cat City.”
Perhaps the most famous of the statues is the Great Cat of Kuching. Erected in the 1990s as the first of the cat statues, this 5-foot (1.5-meter) white feline dominates city center and even gets dressed up during major festivals (think a Santa hat come Christmas).
One of the most photographed statues sits near the Kuching Esplanade and features a family of cats (parents and five kittens) lazing about in front of the Holiday Inn. At the center of the roundabout at the junction of Jln Padungan and Jln Chan Chin Ann stands the Cat Column, a Rafflesia flower-topped pillar flanked by four white cats.
What's the best way to experience Kuching Cat Statues?
- Kuching Natural Charms Half Day City Tour
- Half Day Kuching City Tour
- Kuching City Sightseeing Tour with Sarawak Museum
Things to do near Kuching
- Things to do in Sarawak
- Things to do in Bandar Seri Begawan
- Things to do in Sentosa Island
- Things to do in Johor Bahru
- Things to do in Kota Kinabalu
- Things to do in Melaka
- Things to do in Jakarta
- Things to do in Semarang
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Johor
- Things to do in Sabah
- Things to do in Sandakan
- Things to do in Kuala Besut
- Things to do in Pahang
- Things to do in West Java