Even if you don’t want to immerse yourself in the exhibits of the Brooke Gallery, it’s still worth the journey to Fort Margherita to climb the spiral staircase of the watchtower for panoramic views of Kuching’s waterfront and surrounding rainforest. Some Kuching sightseeing tours cover the landmark—in conjunction with other city highlights such as Kuching Mosque (Old State Mosque) and the Kuching Cat Statues—and typically give you free time to enjoy the Brooke Gallery, housed inside Fort Margherita.
Things to Know Before You Go
- A must-visit for history buffs and those interested in Borneo’s colonial history.
- Due to the fort’s position within police training barracks, visitors may be asked to present some form of ID.
- Uneven surfaces make the fort a difficult place to reach for travelers with strollers and in wheelchairs.
- Opt for a combo ticket to enjoy discounted admission to both the Brooke Gallery and Ranee Museum.
How to Get There
To reach Fort Margherita, you can either cross the Sarawak River by sampan boat and then continue down an unmarked footpath before reaching the fortress grounds; catch the boat from several water taxi ranks along Kuching Waterfront (Esplanade). Or, cross the river via the Darul Hana Bridge and follow a newly built path along the water.
When to Get There
The fortress and Brooke Gallery are open daily between 9am and 4:45pm. It's recommended to put aside between 30-45 minutes to explore the gallery and enjoy views of the waterfront from the ramparts.
As well as being a historic monument, Fort Margherita—named for the wife of Charles Brooke—is home to the Brooke Gallery, which was opened to celebrate the 175th anniversary of the founding of Sarawak state. Exhibits include historical documents, artefacts, and paintings from the era of the White Rajahs, accompanied by information panels, as well as a canon that used to fire daily.
- Things to do in Sarawak
- Things to do in Sentosa Island
- Things to do in Kota Kinabalu
- Things to do in Jakarta
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Sandakan
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Sabah
- Things to do in West Java
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Things to do in East Java
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam
- Kuching Waterfront (Esplanade)
- Square Tower
- Kuching Old Court House
- Kuching Cat Statues
- Tua Pek Kong Chinese Temple
- Kuching Mosque (Old State Mosque)
- Sarawak Museum
- Satok Market
- Kuching Cat Museum
- Sarawak Cultural Village (SCV)
- Semenggoh Nature Reserve
- Bako National Park
- Matang Wildlife Centre
- Kubah National Park