Kuala Lumpur City Gallery
Built in 1898 to serve as the colonial government’s printing office, the Kuala Lumpur City Gallery building is a classic piece of Indo-Saracenic architecture that stands in comparison with Kuala Lumpur Railway Station and the Jamek Mosque. After admiring the exterior, and perhaps taking a selfie with the “I LOVE KL” sign, enjoy dioramas, photos, and displays about old Kuala Lumpur, then discover the spectacular model of the modern city, built at a cost of over 5 million Malaysian ringgit and home to more than 5,000 buildings. It’s easy to swing by independently, but the gallery is also a common stop on Kuala Lumpur city tours.
Recent reviews from experiences in Kuala Lumpur
Things to know before you go
- There’s a small charge to enter the KL City Gallery, payable in cash on arrival.
- Kids under 3 get free admission to the gallery, which is manageable with strollers. The model-making workshops are a great family choice.
- The “I LOVE KL” sign is wheelchair-accessible but the gallery is not.
How to get there
The Kuala Lumpur City Gallery is located on Merdeka Square in the heart of downtown Kuala Lumpur. It’s under a 10-minute walk from Masjid Jamek LRT (Ampang and Kelana Jaya lines) and about a 15-minute stroll from Chinatown for those exploring on foot.
When to get there
The City Gallery is open from morning until early evening, every day of the week. The gallery is rarely busy but the sign can get crowds. Early evening midweek is usually a good time for a selfie, with both building and sign lit up.
Kuala Lumpur’s Best Museums
Kuala Lumpur offers museums to suit most tastes. The Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia has a world-class collection of Muslim arts and crafts, while Petrosains the Discovery Centre is a hands-on interactive science museum beloved of families around the world. The National Museum delivers the perfect introduction to Malaysia’s long history and rich culture.
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Penang
- Things to do in Sentosa Island
- Things to do in Medan
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Hat Yai
- Things to do in Ko Lipe
- Things to do in Ko Lanta
- Things to do in Krabi
- Things to do in Phuket
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Kuching
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Merdeka Square (Dataran Merdeka)
- Sultan Abdul Samad Building (Bangunan Sultan Abdul Samad)
- Illusion 3D Art Museum
- Kuala Lumpur Railway Station
- Central Market (Pasar Seni)
- Kuala Lumpur Chinatown
- Jalan Masjid India Night Market
- Petaling Street Market
- Sri Mahamariamman Temple
- Jamek Mosque (Masjid Jamek)
- Kuala Lumpur Butterfly Park
- Chan See Shu Yuen Temple
- National Mosque of Malaysia (Masjid Negara)
- Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia
- Kuala Lumpur National Monument (Tugu Negara)