Due to their location just 8 miles (13 kilometers) outside downtown Kuala Lumpur, the Batu Caves are an integral part of most city sightseeing tours. And, with the 272 steps leading up to Temple Cave recently painted in vibrant colors, the scene is now even more impressive for photos. Tours that combine a visit to the Batu Caves with an evening boat ride to see the Kuala Selangor fireflies are a popular choice with nature lovers, while activity-packed city tours, some of which include skip-the-line entry to the Petronas Towers, are ideal if you’re on a time budget.
Recent reviews from experiences in Kuala Lumpur
Things to Know Before You Go
Be mindful that the Batu Caves are a sacred site so be sure to dress modestly.
Avoid feeding the monkeys as they can behave unpredictably.
Make sure you stop at the easy-to-miss Cave Villa, located halfway up the steps.
If you want to explore the Dark Cave, make sure you book a tour in advance.
How to Get There
From downtown Kuala Lumpur, you can either take the bus or train, or opt for a cheap private car using a taxi app. If you want to combine multiple attractions while avoiding the hassle of car hire, a sightseeing tour is the most convenient option.
When to Get There
In the early morning, the Batu Caves are far less crowded and much cooler, making for a much easier climb to the top. Plus, less people means better photos on the brightly colored steps. During the Hindu festival of Thaipusam, which generally occurs in January, millions of devotees flock to the caves.
How to Tour the Dark Caves
If you’ve got an appetite for adventure, don’t miss out on a caving tour of the Dark Cave, during which you’ll crawl through narrow tunnels and admire its most spectacular stalactites and rock formations.
- Forest Research Institute Malaysia (FRIM)
- Royal Selangor Visitor Centre
- Malaysia National Zoo (Zoo Negara Malaysia)
- King's Palace (Istana Negara)
- Petronas Twin Towers (Petronas Towers)
- Kuala Lumpur Bird Park (Taman Burung Kuala Lumpur))
- Petrosains the Discovery Centre
- Kuala Lumpur Tower (KL Tower)
- Kuala Lumpur National Monument (Tugu Negara)
- Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre
- Jalan Masjid India Night Market
- Aquaria KLCC
- Sultan Abdul Samad Building (Bangunan Sultan Abdul Samad)
- Merdeka Square (Dataran Merdeka)
- Kuala Lumpur City Gallery