Krakow by Trabant
Read MoreShow Less
Manufactured in East Germany between 1957 and 1990, the Trabant was an icon of Europe’s communist Eastern Bloc. Before the fall of the Iron Curtain, Trabants were a common sight in Poland. For visitors hoping to tap into Krakow’s communist past, here’s what you need to know about exploring the Polish city in an authentic vintage Trabant.
- Hop into an original Trabant and feel what it’s like to travel inside the noisy car, which many jokingly referred to as “a spark plug with a roof,” during a guided communism tour of Krakow.
- Travel by Trabant to the city’s Nowa Huta district. A sprawling suburb of Krakow meticulously planned and constructed by the Soviets, Nowa Huta is home to many of the city’s most striking examples of Socialist Realist architecture.
- Combine a ride in a Trabant car with a walking tour of Krakow’s old Jewish Quarter, Kazimierz, which was home to Krakow’s Jewish community for centuries before World War II.
- Upgrade your Trabant tour to include other communist-themed experiences, such as a visit to a communist-era apartment and the chance to try typical communist-era snacks such as pickled cucumbers at a restaurant that dates back to communist times.
- Learn about daily life behind the Iron Curtain in Krakow from a guide.
2 Tours and Activities | All Krakow Tours
Discover Krakow’s communist history on a tour in a Trabant car. Take a ride in the vehicle classic to the era and explore the Nowa Huta district with your guide. Along the way, hop out to wander the neighborhood’s streets and learn about the rich history behind them. Upgrade to extend your tour with a visit to a private museum and a communist-era restaurant.
Explore Krakow from the seat of a Trabant, Eastern Europe’s classic car, on this 4-hour tour. Led by an expert guide, see the Jewish quarter, the city’s historic burial mounds and the Nowa Huta district, hopping out along the way for a 2-hour walking tour. You’ll also receive insider’s tips on Krakow’s best pubs and restaurants, as well as hotel pickup and drop-off.