Niedzica Castle (Zamek Dunajec)
Niedzica Castle (Zamek w Niedzicy) was built between 1320 and 1326 by the Hungarian Kokos of Brezovica. Sitting on a hill upstream from the mouth of the Dunajec River, it is also sometimes called the Dunajec Castle (Zamek Dunajec). Long a border post with Hungary, the castle is considered to be one of the most picturesque in Poland. It has changed hands and undergone renovations numerous times over the centuries, but has been a museum since 1963.
While much of the castle is in ruins, the dungeons and some rooms in the upper and middle castle have survived, as has a painting of the crucifixion that once hung in the chapel. The castle museum displays artifacts, remnants of the old interior, historical documents, prints and engravings of the castle’s exterior and antique clocks, pistols and rifles. Two terraces provide visitors with scenic views of the river and nearby lake.
Niedzica Castle is also the subject of local legend, which says that an Inca princess was killed here, leaving her ghost to haunt the castle nightly, leaving a testament to her son describing the location of a lost Inca treasure.
Browse. Filter. Book.
What are Niedzica Castle (Zamek Dunajec) hours of operation?
Should I book Niedzica Castle (Zamek Dunajec) tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Niedzica Castle (Zamek Dunajec) 2020?
What's the best way to experience Niedzica Castle (Zamek Dunajec)?
- Dunajec Wooden Rafting Tour from Krakow
- Dunajec River Gorge and Niedzica Castle - Private Tour from Krakow
- Rafting down the Dunajec River & Castle in Niedzica - Tour from Cracow
- Private Zakopane and Dunajec River Rafting Combo Tour
Things to do near Krakow
- Things to do in Banská Bystrica
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Lviv
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Dragomiresti
- Things to do in Pilsen
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Western Romania
- Things to do in Upper Austria