Jagiellonian University (Uniwersytet Jagielloński)
Jagiellonian University is included in many Krakow city sightseeing tours along with other notable attractions, such as the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Town Market Square (Rynek Główny), St. Mary’s Basilica, Wawel Royal Castle, the Cloth Hall (Sukiennice), Planty Park, and Kazimierz, the historic Jewish quarter. While private and group walking tours are very popular, you can also see the city by bike or Segway. There are many Krakow day tours from Warsaw and Ostrava as well.
Things to Know Before You Go
Jagiellonian University is a great choice for history and culture fans.
The university museum offers free tours on Saturdays.
Be sure to wear comfortable shoes, as there’s a lot to explore on foot.
There is a cafeteria in the cellar of the Collegium Maius building.
The museum shop sells souvenirs and memorabilia.
Most of the campus, including the Collegium Maius building, is accessible to wheelchair users.
How to Get There
Jagiellonian University’s headquarters are located in the Collegium Novum building, close to Planty Park on the edge of Krakow’s Old Town Market Square. The campus is easily accessed on foot, or from the main train station (Kraków Główny Osobowy), either get a taxi or walk roughly 25 minutes.
When to Get There
The University is open to visitors Monday through Saturday year-round. July and August are Krakow’s peak tourism months, so if you want to avoid the crowds (and challenging weather), it is best to travel in spring or fall.
Highlights of Krakow Old Town
When visiting Krakow, the Old Town Market Square is a must-see. You can climb the town hall tower, see St. Mary’s Basilica, and go shopping in Cloth Hall. Another top attraction is Rynek Underground, a subterranean museum with stories, interactive displays, and 4D films of Poland’s ancient past.
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Lviv
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Western Romania
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Krakow Town Hall Tower (Wieza Ratuszowa w Krakowie)
- Krakow Old Town (Kraków Stare Miasto)
- Rynek Glowny (Main Market Square)
- St. Adalbert Church (Kościól Św. Wojciecha)
- Gallery of 19th-Century Polish Art (Galeria Sztuki Polskiej XIX Wieku w Sukiennicach)
- Krzysztofory Palace
- Cloth Hall (Sukiennice)
- Historical Museum of the City of Krakow
- Rynek Underground (Podziemia Rynku)
- Adam Mickiewicz Monument (Pomnik Adama Mickiewicza)
- Europeum Center for European Culture
- Józef Czapski Pavilion (Pawilon Józefa Czapskiego)
- St. Mary's Basilica (Kościól Mariacki)
- Chopin Concert Hall (Chopin Gallery)
- Archaeological Museum of Krakow (Muzeum Archeologiczne w Krakowie)