Eagle Pharmacy (Apteka pod Orlem) Tours and Activities
The Eagle Pharmacy (Apteka pod Orłem), Tadeusz Pankiewicz’s pharmacy in the heart of Podgórze, ran quite smoothly until 1941 when the Nazis closed off the surrounding area and created a ghetto for the Jewish community. And although Pankiewicz was offered to move the Aryan side of the city at the time, he chose to stay in his Krakow ghetto pharmacy, where he was able to supply the residents with medication and various pharmaceutical products that were not only used for health reasons but also to help them mislead the Gestapo; for example, many residents used hair dyes to disguise their identity, or even tranquilizers to keep children quiet during raids. The Ghetto pharmacy itself was often used as a shelter to Jews who escaped deportation to the camps.
The Eagle Pharmacy museum is now part of the Krakow Historical Museum and has been restored to its wartime appearance. Multimedia exhibits and various artifacts, as well as numerous testimonials from Holocaust survivors and Poles, inform visitors about the reality of life in the ghetto and the pharmacy’s role in a very intimate, hands-on way.
Tours and Activities to Experience Eagle Pharmacy (Apteka pod Orlem)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Krakow Grand City Tour by golf cart
- Jewish Quarter Kazimierz & Schindler's Factory Guided Tour
- Meet Krakow in 3h! Private tour through ALL historical areas.
- Skip the line: Schindler's Factory & Historical Former Jewish Ghetto (free d2d)
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Lviv
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Western Romania
- Things to do in Upper Austria