Koh Panyee (Koh Panyi) Tours and Activities
Koh Panyi is a charming Muslim fishing village built on stilts over the water. Visit to see the 18th-century houses, the mosque, and the floating market. The area is a popular stop on tours of the region that also take in well-known sights such as James Bond Island (Khao Phing Kan) and Hong Island.
Koh Panyi seems to defy gravity, with homes and walkways built on stilts over the Andaman Sea. The village is home to over 350 families descended from Indonesian seafarers. The village’s first houses were constructed at the end of the 18th century, and over the years the settlement has expanded; it now also includes structures built on dry land, including its mosque.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Boat tours of the region often stop here for lunch at one of the town’s restaurants.
- In addition to a floating market, the town also offers souvenir shops.
- Keep an eye out for the village’s floating football pitch—surely one of the only ones in existence.
- The village is home to a largely Muslim population; please be respectful of their beliefs by covering your shoulders and knees during your visit.
- Wheelchair access is limited.
How to Get There
Koh Panyi is located in Phang Nga Bay, between the Thai mainland and Phuket. Most visitors stop here as part of a boat tour of the islands, which leave from Phuket and Krabi. You can also reach the village by bus; the trip from Krabi takes about 1.5 hours.
When to Get There
Koh Panyi is open to the public all year round. As with the surrounding areas, the town has warm weather all year, with average temperatures of around 80°F (27°C). The best time to visit is during the dry season, between November and March. September and October are the wettest months, and bad weather may affect tour times and ferry schedules.
The Name is Bond… James Bond
The best-known sight in Phang Nga Bay is Khao Phing Kan, aka James Bond Island. The island became famous after it was featured in the Bond movie The Man with the Golden Gun, which starred Roger Moore as 007. Today, the island’s sheer limestone cliffs jutting out of emerald green water make a perfect backdrop for a memorable photo.
12 Tours and Activities to Experience Koh Panyee (Koh Panyi)
Frequently Asked Questions
- James Bond Island Tour from Krabi by Longtail Boat
- James Bond Island Tour(No Canoeing) From Krabi
- James Bond Island Tour with Canoeing from Krabi
- James Bond Island Tour from Krabi with Lunch & Sea Canoeing
Things to do near Krabi
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in Ko Lanta
- Things to do in Ko Phi Phi Don
- Things to do in Phuket
- Things to do in Khao Lak
- Things to do in Surat Thani
- Things to do in Ko Lipe
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Hat Yai
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Penang
- Things to do in Pattaya
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Gulf of Thailand