Three days in Kota Kinabalu means you can enjoy most of the highlights in the area, including the beaches and islands, wildlife, culture, and outdoor recreation. Here are a few ways to make the most of your 3-day journey.
Sabah Museum (Sabah State Museum)
Jalan Muzium, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, 88300
Highlights of the museum include the tribal dwellings of the Heritage Village—which include Kadazan bamboo houses and Chinese farmhouses set on a lily-pad-covered lake—and a whale skeleton.
Explore the museum as part of a Kota Kinabalu sightseeing tour, which typically last half a day and covers top city sights such as the Signal Hill Observatory Platform, Kota Kinabalu City Mosque, and Sabah State Mosque. For a more personalized experience, opt for a small group or private excursion.
Things to know before you go
- The museum is a must-visit for history buffs and travelers interested in the culture of Sabah.
- Photography is only permitted outside of the buildings.
- The museum is wheelchair- and stroller-accessible.
How to get there
The Sabah Museum is located off Jalan Penampang, opposite the Secretariat Building and approximately 2.5 miles (4 kilometers) from Kota Kinabalu’s city center. It can be easily reached by taxi or by taking the number 13 bus from the city center.
When to get there
Sabah Museum (Sabah State Museum) is open daily. Most visitors find that around one hour is ample time to enjoy all of the museum’s exhibits.
Museums in Kota Kinabalu
Though most famous for its natural attractions, Kota Kinabalu still boasts a great selection of cultural attractions. Top picks include the Museum of Islamic Civilization, which is dedicated to Muslim culture throughout the ages and features several ancient Korans and maps, and the Aquarium and Marine Museum, which exhibits the diverse marine life of Borneo.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Sabah Museum (Sabah State Museum)?
Attractions near Sabah Museum (Sabah State Museum):
What else should I know about attractions in Kota Kinabalu?
- Things to do in Sabah
- Things to do in Sandakan
- Things to do in Puerto Princesa
- Things to do in Kuching
- Things to do in Boracay
- Things to do in Panay Island
- Things to do in Cebu
- Things to do in Palawan
- Things to do in Visayas
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Things to do in Central Vietnam
- Sabah State Mosque (Masjid Negeri Sabah)
- North Borneo Railway
- Kota Kinabalu City Mosque (Masjid Bandaraya Kota Kinabalu)
- Signal Hill Observatory Platform
- Kota Kinabalu Wetland Centre
- Manukan Island (Pulau Manukan)
- Monsopiad Cultural Village
- Gaya Island (Pulau Gaya)
- Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park (TARP)
- Sapi Island (Pulau Sapi)
- Mari Mari Cultural Village
- Mt. Kinabalu (Gunung Kinabalu)
- Kota Belud
- Kinabalu National Park
- Poring Hot Spring & Nature Reserve (Poring Hot Springs)