Chinese Fishing Nets
Fort Cochin’s Chinese Fishing Nets have been a beach installation for centuries, well before the coming of the Portuguese colonizers.
It’s thought that the nets were introduced to this coastal area by the legendary Chinese explorer Zheng He, way back in the early 15th century.
The nets are permanent horizontal structures, lowered and raised by a network of cantilevered ropes, bamboo poles, and balancing weights and pulleys. Teams of up to six fishermen operate the nets, but the catch is usually quite modest.
For the best views, come at dusk with your camera to capture that quintessential shot of Kerala’s fishing nets and calm seas backlit by the setting sun. If you’re feeling hungry, you can buy freshly netted fish and crabs, and have them cooked up for your dinner at a roadside stall.
Chinese Fishing Nets Tours and Activities
Should I book Chinese Fishing Nets tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Chinese Fishing Nets 2021?
What's the best way to experience Chinese Fishing Nets?
- Private Guided Kochi Tuk tuk Tours with Pickup from Cruise Ships
- Cochin City or Backwater Shore Excursions from Cruise Terminal
- Private Tuk Tuk Tours in Kochi with Hotel Pickup
- Cochin (Kochi) Shore Excursions from Cruise Terminal Ships Pier
Things to do near Kochi
- Things to do in Kerala
- Things to do in Coimbatore
- Things to do in Madurai
- Things to do in Tuticorin
- Things to do in Thanjavur
- Things to do in Bangalore
- Things to do in Jaffna
- Things to do in Pondicherry
- Things to do in Anuradhapura
- Things to do in Chennai
- Things to do in Goa
- Things to do in Tamil Nadu
- Things to do in Northern Sri Lanka
- Things to do in Negombo
- Things to do in Southern Province