Noon Gate (Cua Ngo Mon)
Most tours of Hue Citadel pass beneath Noon Gate. You can cover more sights in less time on a tour by cyclo or enjoy ample time to ask questions on a private walking tour of Hue Citadel’s highlights. Alternatively, combine Hue’s top attractions with a cooking class or cruise on the Perfume River on a day trip from Da Nang or Hoi An, most of which travel via the renowned Hai Van Pass.
Things to know before you go
- Noon Gate is a great example of architecture from the Nguyen dynasty—look out for the depictions of phoenixes.
- The flat path that leads up to the gate means that it's possible for travelers using wheelchairs and strollers to access it.
- Climb to the upper level of the gate to enjoy views of both Hue Citadel (Da Noi) and the Hall of Supreme Harmony.
How to get there
The Citadel is an easy walk from most hotels in Hue, and can also be reached by bike or taxi from the center of town. If you’re visiting Hue for the day from Da Nang or Hoi An, the Citadel is a 20- to 30-minute taxi ride from the train station depending on traffic.
When to get there
The gate is open daily from mid-morning to early afternoon. In order to beat both the crowds and the sweltering midday heat, try to visit as early in the morning as possible.
Though Hue is most famous for its history, there’s still plenty to do once you’ve got your dose of the past. A great place to get a glimpse into local life is Dong Ba Market (Cho Dong Ba), which sells both exotic Vietnamese produce and clothes, while the natural scenery of the Perfume River provides a great place to relax—opt for a cruise on a dragon boat for a traditional experience.
- Thai Hoa Palace
- Flag Tower (Ky Dai)
- Nine Dynastic Urns
- Royal Antiquities Museum
- Tinh Tam Lake (Ho Tinh Tam)
- Ho Chi Minh Museum
- Perfume River (Song Huong River)
- Dong Ba Market (Cho Dong Ba)
- Forbidden Purple City (Tu Cam Thanh)
- Bao Quoc Pagoda (Chua Bao Quoc)
- Bach Ma National Park (Vuon Quoc gia Bach Ma)
- Thien Mu Pagoda
- Tomb of Tu Duc (Lang Tu Duc)
- Cat Tuong Quan Zen House
- Thanh Toan Bridge