Since Houston is known as “Space City” for its affiliation with NASA, it only makes sense that a downtown park commemorates the day that U.S. astronauts first landed on the moon. Named after the lunar Sea of Tranquility—a basaltic plain on the surface of the moon where the Apollo astronauts landed—the park today features a replica of a footprint that Neil Armstrong left on the moon.
The first words that the astronaut transmitted from up there are posted in 15 languages, so nearly everyone who visits can read the phrase: “Houston, Tranquility Base here. The eagle has landed.” Most impressive is the park’s fountain, which is designed in large, cylindrical formations to resemble the rocket boosters used on Apollo to get the men to the moon. The park also features craters and mounds meant to mimic the moon’s topography. Although, all lunar connections aside, this is a peaceful place for a pensive moment in the middle of bustling, downtown Houston, just steps from City Hall.
Tours and tickets to Experience Tranquility Park
What are Tranquility Park hours of operation?
Should I book Tranquility Park tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Tranquility Park 2021?
What's the best way to experience Tranquility Park?
- Best City Tour 2 hours
- Private 2hr Family Tour
- Private Full-Day Houston City Tour, NASA Space Center and Kemah Boardwalk Dinner
- NASA's Space Center plus Houston's Official City Tour
Things to do near Houston
- Things to do in Texas
- Things to do in Galveston
- Things to do in San Antonio
- Things to do in Dallas
- Things to do in South Padre Island
- Things to do in New Orleans
- Things to do in Monterrey
- Things to do in Orange Beach
- Things to do in Branson
- Things to do in Destin
- Things to do in Montgomery
- Things to do in Louisiana
- Things to do in Alabama
- Things to do in Panama City Beach
- Things to do in Missouri