Commonly included on Houston city tours, Hermann Park is a favorite among families and nature lovers. Spot elephants, tigers, and other animals at Houston Zoo; stroll through the rose and Japanese gardens; take a ride on the Hermann Park Railroad; or cruise around McGovern Lake in a pedal-boat. During the summer months, catch an open-air show at the Miller Outdoor Theater or explore the park’s network of walking, jogging, and cycling trails.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Entrance to the park is free, but admission tickets are required for some attractions and activities.
- Find restrooms, playgrounds, and picnic areas scattered throughout the park. For lunch, snacks, and drinks, head to the Pinewood Café by McGovern Lake.
- The park and most of its attractions are wheelchair and stroller accessible.
How to Get There
Hermann Park is located south of downtown Houston within the Museum District. Metro line 700 has two stops with park access—the Hermann Park/Rice U station is closest to the lake, theater, and Japanese Garden, while the Memorial Hermann Hospital/Houston Zoo station is at the south end of the park near the zoo. If you’re driving, there are numerous parking areas within the park.
When to Get There
The park is open daily from 6am to 11pm, but individual gardens and attractions have varying hours of operation. Popular attractions, such as the zoo and Rose Garden, can get busy on weekends and during the summer. It helps to arrive early to avoid the crowds; however, the park is big enough that you’ll always be able to find a quiet spot.
Houston’s Museum District With numerous museums, galleries, and cultural centers, the district has something to suit all ages and interests. At the northern end of Hermann Park, visit the Houston Museum of Natural Science, the Health Museum, or the Children’s Museum of Houston, which are all packed with fun and interactive exhibitions. Nearby, take in some history at the Holocaust Museum Houston, one of the largest of its kind in the United States; if you’re into art, stop by the Museum of Fine Arts or the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston. Other highlights include the Buffalo Soldiers National Museum and the Houston Museum of African American Culture.
- Things to do in Texas
- Things to do in Galveston
- Things to do in San Antonio
- Things to do in Dallas
- Things to do in South Padre Island
- Things to do in New Orleans
- Things to do in Monterrey
- Things to do in Orange Beach
- Things to do in Branson
- Things to do in Destin
- Things to do in Panama City Beach
- Things to do in Louisiana
- Things to do in Alabama
- Things to do in Missouri