Towering over the Derwent River and dramatically illuminated at night, the Tasman Bridge has long been one of Hobart’s most memorable landmarks. Built in 1964, the five-lane bridge runs for 1.4km across the river, connecting the central business district with the eastern suburbs, and forming part of the long-distance Tasman Highway.
Despite its status as a city landmark, the Tasman Bridge is perhaps most notorious for its collision with the MV Lake Illawarra bulk carrier In 1975 – an accident that caused extensive damage to the bridge, the sinking of the ship and several fatalities, becoming known as the ‘Tasman Bridge Disaster’. Today, a memorial plaque honors the tragic victims, while the sunken vessel provides an unusual attraction for scuba divers.
Tours and tickets to Experience Tasman Bridge
Should I book Tasman Bridge tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Tasman Bridge 2021?
What's the best way to experience Tasman Bridge?
- Hobart Hop-on Hop-off Bus Tour
- Tasmania 6 Day 'Tour in Circle'
- Hobart Hop-On Hop-Off Bus & kunanyi/Mt Wellington Tour
- 30-Minute Hobart Scenic Flight
Things to do near Hobart
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in Seven Mile Beach
- Things to do in Port Arthur
- Things to do in Burnie
- Things to do in Phillip Island
- Things to do in Mornington Peninsula
- Things to do in Great Ocean Road
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in South Island