Thien Hau Temple (Chua Ba Thien Hau)
This Taoist temple in the Cholon neighborhood ranks among the city’s most prominent religious landmarks. As such, it features on just about every city sightseeing tour, along with other notable points of interest such as the War Remnants Museum, Independence Palace, Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral, and the French colonial Old Post Office. Those with an interest in Vietnam’s Chinese communities can take a guided cyclo tour of the atmospheric Chinatown district—the largest in Vietnam—stopping at the temple, as well as Cha Tam Church, Binh Tay Market, and a local Chinese medicine practitioner.
Things to Know Before You Go
Thien Hau Temple, sometimes called the Ba Thien Hau Pagoda, is a must-visit for spiritual travelers or those interested in Chinese Taoism.
Remember to dress respectfully and keep your voice down, as this is an active place of worship.
Visit the temple with a guide to learn more about the history of Chinese immigrants in Vietnam and traditional Taoist practices.
How to Get There
The temple is situated on busy Nguyen Trai Street in the Cholon neighborhood—Ho Chi Minh City’s Chinatown—in District 5. The easiest way to get there is to hire a taxi, motorcycle taxi, or cyclo.
When to Get There
Thien Hau Temple is one of the city’s busiest places of worship, so plan to visit early in the morning on a weekday when the atmosphere is a bit more tranquil. Avoid weekends, when locals fill the temple.
Incense of Thien Hau
One of the first things you’ll notice when approaching the temple is the strong smell of burning incense wafting from inside. Within the temple, large coils of incense hang from the ceiling in the main worship area. Devotees believe that the smoke from the hanging coils delivers their wishes and prayers to the deity above.
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam
- Things to do in Can Tho
- Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Krong Kaeb
- Things to do in Nha Trang
- Things to do in Sihanoukville
- Things to do in Angkor Wat
- Things to do in Siem Reap
- Things to do in Ko Chang
- Things to do in Hoi An
- Things to do in My Son
- Things to do in Da Nang
- Things to do in Hue
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Things to do in South Coast
- Quan Am Pagoda (Chua Quan Am)
- Cholon (Saigon Chinatown)
- Binh Tay Market (Cho Binh Tay)
- Dam Sen Water Park (Cong Vien Nuoc Dam Sen)
- Museum of Traditional Vietnamese Medicine (Fito Museum)
- Giac Lam Pagoda (Chua Giac Lam)
- Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral (Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Saïgon)
- Tao Dan Park
- Pham Ngu Lao Street
- Bach Dang Wharf (Ben Bach Dang)
- War Remnants Museum (Bao Tang Chung Tich Chien Tranh)
- Museum of Fine Arts
- Ben Thanh Market (Cho Ben Thanh)
- Reunification Palace (Independence Palace)
- Paris Square (Cong Truong Cong Xa Paris)