The mighty Mekong is Southeast Asia’s longest river and cruising around the canals, waterways, and floating markets of the Mekong Delta—often called the “rice bowl” of Vietnam—offers a startling contrast to the busy urban center of Ho Chi Minh City. Here are your options for Mekong Delta tours.
Bach Dang Wharf (Ben Bach Dang)
Ton Duc Thang, Ho Chi Minh City, South Vietnam
The skyscrapers along the Saigon River and behind Bach Dang Wharf come into their own as night falls and brilliant neon shades the Ho Chi Minh City skyline from gray to a riot of color. Many Saigon River night cruises start from Bach Dang Wharf. Dinner cruises, with Vietnamese food and live cultural performances, are a particularly popular option; some travelers opt to do their sightseeing by taking a return journey on the Saigon Waterbus.
Things to know before you go
- You may see Bach Dang Wharf translated Bach Dang Harbor or Bach Dang Pier. All three names refer to the same place.
- The focus of a Saigon River cruise is on the modern skyline. Saigon’s remaining historic buildings are generally set back from the river.
- Most of the Saigon River night cruise boats are not wheelchair accessible but Bach Dang Garden and the wharf itself are roller-friendly.
How to get there
Bach Dang Wharf sits on the bank of the Saigon River in the heart of District 1, less than a 10-minute walk from the Saigon Opera House and a little over a 10-minute walk from the Ben Thanh bus station.
When to get there
Bach Dang Wharf is at its best after dark, when the skyline glitters and the eateries spring into action. If you’re planning to catch the Saigon Waterbus, be aware that it stops running early in the evening: a night cruise is a better option.
The Best Cruises From Ho Chi Minh City
A Saigon River dinner cruise brings you right into the heart of modern, dynamic Ho Chi Minh City. But there are many other worthwhile water tours. Zip north by speedboat to the Cu Chi Tunnels, an underground labyrinth created to counter American forces during the Vietnam War. Or, head south to the mangrove wetlands around Can Gio and Sat Vam to discover migrating birds, flying foxes, monkeys, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Bach Dang Wharf (Ben Bach Dang)?
Attractions near Bach Dang Wharf (Ben Bach Dang):
What else should I know about attractions in Ho Chi Minh City?
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam
- Things to do in Can Tho
- Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Krong Kaeb
- Things to do in Nha Trang
- Things to do in Sihanoukville
- Things to do in Angkor Wat
- Things to do in Siem Reap
- Things to do in Ko Chang
- Things to do in Hoi An
- Things to do in My Son
- Things to do in Da Nang
- Things to do in Hue
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Things to do in South Coast
- Museum of Traditional Vietnamese Medicine (Fito Museum)
- Cu Chi Wildlife Rescue Station
- War Remnants Museum (Bao Tang Chung Tich Chien Tranh)
- Tao Dan Park
- Jade Emperor Pagoda
- Reunification Palace (Independence Palace)
- Paris Square (Cong Truong Cong Xa Paris)
- Saigon Central Post Office
- Vietnam Cookery Center
- Pham Ngu Lao Street
- Ben Thanh Market (Cho Ben Thanh)
- Can Gio Mangrove Biosphere Reserve
- Saigon Opera House (Opéra de Saïgon)
- Dong Khoi Street (Duong Dong Khoi)
- Museum of Fine Arts