Reeperbahn & St Pauli District
St. Pauli’s proximity to Hamburg’s port made it a draw for sailors for centuries. The district is still full of strip clubs, but today many visitors head to the historic area, and the neon-lit Reeperbahn, not only to see the city’s seedier side but also to learn about its history. Take a daytime walking or biking tour, see where the Beatles played in the early 1960s, or take in a show at a comedy club.
Recent reviews from experiences in Hamburg
Things to Know Before You Go
The area is notorious for pickpockets; leave your jewelry and watches in the hotel, and don’t put your wallet in your back pocket.
The Reeperbahn hosts a music festival every September.
The pedestrian street is mostly wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
The Reeperbahn and the St. Pauli District are located just north of the port, on the western edge of Hamburg. The pedestrian street heads west from the St. Pauli underground station and stretches all the way to the fish market at Altona. To reach the area, you can take the S-Bahn train to the Reeperbahn station or the U-Bahn to the St. Pauli station. Alternatively, visit the area on a guided tour that includes transportation. Parking in the area is limited.
When to Get There
One of the most popular times of year to visit the neighborhood is during the annual Reeperbahn Festival, a music festival held every September. In general, summer is the busiest tourist season in Hamburg.
The Beatles in Hamburg
In the early 1960s, before the Beatles became world famous, they played at several clubs along the Reeperbahn, including the Star-Club and Top Ten. John Lennon once joked that he “grew up” in Hamburg. Visit Beatles Square, located at the corner of the Reeperbahn and the Grosse Freiheit, to see statues dedicated to John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Stuart Sutcliffe, and Pete Best (who were the members of the band at the time).
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Potsdam
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Frankfurt
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in North Holland
- Rickmer Rickmers
- Grosse Freiheit 36
- St. Pauli Piers
- Museum for Hamburg History
- Hamburg Fish Market (Altonaer Fischmarkt)
- Port of Hamburg
- Old Elbe Tunnel (Alter Elbtunnel)
- St. Michael's Church (Michaeliskirche)
- Warehouse District Museum (Speicherstadtmuseum)
- Speicherstadt Coffee Roastery (Speicherstadt Kaffeerösterei)
- Hamburg Dungeon