From craft beer tastings to scenic boat cruises, there’s plenty to do in Hamburg. Bike through different neighborhoods, see some street art, and venture out to the countryside—here’s how to spend three days in this northern German port city.
Planten und Blomen Park
Sankt Petersburger Strasse 1, Hamburg, 20095
Planten und Blomen Park is a popular stop on Hamburg walking tours. The green space is home to one of the largest Japanese gardens in Europe, as well as a Japanese teahouse, and tropical plant house. The park offers a variety of entertainment for kids from a skating rink to playgrounds, miniature golf, pony rides, and water games.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Planten und Blomen Park is a must-see attraction for nature lovers and families seeking outdoor entertainment.
- The park is accessible for wheelchairs and strollers.
- Travelers on a budget may want to take advantage of the green space as a picnic destination.
- The greenhouses, home to tropical plants and trees, are open year-round.
How to Get There
The Planten und Blomen Park stretches west from the Kennedy and Lombards bridges. It is easily reached via public transportation; take the metro to Stephansplatz. Most visitors arrive on foot, via public transportation, or with a guided tour; parking is limited.
When to Get There
The most popular time of year to visit Hamburg is during the summer months. At Planten und Blomen Park, the summer season offers extra entertainment for kids including programs with clowns, magicians, and acrobats. Summer nights bring choreographed music and light shows to the park. In winter, the ice-skating rink is a big draw to the park.
What to See in the Park
In addition to the Japanese gardens, the Planten un Blomen Park has many other highlights for plant lovers. Be sure to check out the Rosengarten to see a variety of roses in bloom, the Apothekegarten (or pharmacist’s garden) to see diverse medicinal plants, and the Bürgergarten (citizens' garden) where colorful floral displays are found.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Planten und Blomen Park?
What else should I know about attractions in Hamburg?
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Potsdam
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in North Holland
- Museum for Hamburg History
- Hamburg City Hall (Rathaus)
- St. Michael's Church (Michaeliskirche)
- Hamburger Kunsthalle
- Hamburg Old Town (Hamburg Altstadt)
- St. Peter's Church
- St. Nikolai Memorial
- Rickmer Rickmers
- Outer Alster Lake (Aussenalster)
- Reeperbahn & St Pauli District
- Hamburg Dungeon
- St. Pauli Piers