Two days in Glasgow allow you time to thoroughly experience its most famous sights, while also getting a deeper perspective on such crucial cultural elements as whisky and football, and even venturing outside the city to marvel at great feats of engineering.
Merchant City, Glasgow, Glasgow
A combination of piazzas, arches, and sidewalk cafes give Merchant City a distinct continental feel. In addition to the upscale shopping of Ingram Street and the Italian Centre, this district is known for its Victorian buildings and city landmarks including the Gothic Glasgow Cathedral and Provand’s Lordship, a medieval house. Several city tours include a glimpse into Merchant City, including both walking tours and a ride on the hop-on, hop-off sightseeing bus.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Merchant City is a must-see neighborhood for architecture buffs, shopping enthusiasts, and food lovers.
- The Public Arts Trail runs right through Merchant City.
- In addition to shopping and restaurants, Merchant City is known for its nightlife including cocktail bars, comedy, cabaret, and a vibrant LGBTQ scene.
How to Get There
The district of Merchant City is quite compact and can be easily explored on foot. It has good public transportation options including the subway at Buchanan Street and train stops at Queen Street Station and Argyle Street Station.
When to Get There
The popular Merchant City Festival takes place annually in July and August. This celebration of art, dance, music, street theater, and design attracts a large number of culture-seeking travelers. To avoid the crowds, visit during the spring and fall months. Shoppers may want to plan a visit on the weekend, when a craft and design fair sets up shop.
Music History Complete an exploration of this neighborhood with a visit to the Britannia Panopticon, a music hall that dates back to the 1850s. Join a guided tour to learn about the music venue and the musicians that have taken the stage here over the years. Music fans may also want to check out City Halls, home to the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra.
- Things to do in Stirling
- Things to do in Edinburgh
- Things to do in Belfast
- Things to do in Inverness
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in Limerick
- Things to do in Shannon
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in North East England
- Things to do in North West England