To limit the spread of the coronavirus, attractions may be closed or have partial closures. Please consult government travel advisories before booking. The WHO is closely monitoring the coronavirus and more information can be found here.
Peterson Cay National Park Tours
Read MoreShow Less
Located off the south shore of Grand Bahama, Peterson Cay island is home to the smallest national park in the Bahamas, which covers only 1.5 acres (0.6 hectares). Though compact, the cay is home to one of the most beautiful reefs in the Bahamas, offer abundant snorkeling and diving opportunities.
The main reef is a short swim from shore; ensure you go past the initial soft branch to see the most diverse marine life. There is also a wide variety of aquatic life that calls the reef home, so keep your eyes out for tropical fish, and even manta rays and barracuda. Snorkel tours departing from Grand Bahama typically transport you to the park via catamaran, and tend to include snorkeling equipment and lunch.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The secluded, sandy beaches of Peterson Cay National Park provide an ideal spot for quiet relaxation and afternoon picnics.
- Don’t forget to bring reef-safe sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat.
- It’s illegal to remove shells, vegetation, or pieces of coral from the island.
How to Get There
Peterson Cay National Park is only accessible by boat; hire a private boat from Port Lucaya Marina or join a tour. Experienced kayakers can paddle to the park from Barbary Beach.
When to Get There
The best time to visit the national park is during dry season in the Bahamas, from December through April. Temperatures remain warm enough for diving and snorkeling throughout the year, but rain and hurricanes may be a factor between May and late November.
Wildlife on Peterson Cay
The vast majority of visitors to Peterson Cay come for the wildlife, which resides both above and below the water. The island is home to a nesting colony of bridled terns and it’s common to see soldier crabs scurrying along its shores. The park’s fringe and patch reefs teem with tropical fish, while a healthy turtle population lives in the waters around the cay.
Address: Grand Bahama, Bahamas
Admission: Check fees at Entrance Booth
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Peterson Cay National Park
No results found!
Things to do near Freeport
- Things to do in Grand Bahama Island
- Things to do in West Palm Beach
- Things to do in Boca Raton
- Things to do in Fort Lauderdale
- Things to do in Miami
- Things to do in Nassau
- Things to do in Key Largo
- Things to do in Everglades National Park
- Things to do in Cocoa Beach
- Things to do in Cape Canaveral
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Fort Myers
- Things to do in Orlando
- Things to do in New Providence Island
- Things to do in Florida