From a fairy-tale palace towering over the Rhine River to one of Germany’s oldest forts, there are a number of impressive medieval castles to explore outside Frankfurt and they each make for a great day trip destination. Here are a few of the best.
Palm Garden (Palmengarten)
9am - 6pm Mar - Oct; 9am - 4pm Nov - Jan
Siesmayerstraße 61, Frankfurt, 60323
Spread across 54 acres (22 hectares), the garden is an oasis in the midst of Frankfurt’s bustle. Its grand Palm House is a must-see, while the Tropicarium, Rose Garden, Subantarctic House, and Blossom House showcase 13,000 plant species from all over the globe. The garden also features several play areas for children. Glimpse Palmengarten on a hop-on hop-off bus tour or get discounted entry with a Frankfurt Pass.
Things to know before you go
- The garden is fully accessible to wheelchair users; guide dogs are also welcome.
- An on-site kiosk shop sells botanical-themed gifts and souvenirs.
- For a small, additional fee, you can explore the park by way of the Palmen-Express, an electric train.
- There are several restaurants in the garden, including the elegant Villa Leonhardi and the Viennese-inspired Caféhaus Siesmayer.
How to get there
If you plan to reach the garden by public transport, take U-Bahn lines U4, U6, or U7 to Bockenheimer Warte station, or lines U6 or U7 to Westend station. The garden is also served by tram line 16, and by bus lines 32, 36, 50, and 75.
When to get there
Palmengarten is open daily from morning until early evening in February–October, and morning until late afternoon in November–January. Though there’s never a bad time to visit, the garden is particularly lovely in the spring and summer months, when you can rent a boat to take out on the lake.
Events at the Palm Garden
Palmengarten hosts an array of events throughout the year, including themed flower shows, holiday celebrations, and winter lights installations. The on-site Papageno Music Theater also hosts a year-round live music program that includes operas, musicals, and concerts.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Palm Garden (Palmengarten)?
Attractions near Palm Garden (Palmengarten):
What else should I know about attractions in Frankfurt?
- Bockenheimer Warte
- Senckenberg Natural History Museum (Naturmuseum Senckenberg)
- Old Opera House (Alte Oper)
- Frankfurt Main Tower
- Frankfurt (Main) Hauptbahnhof
- Goethe House & Museum (Goethehaus)
- St. Paul's Church (Paulskirche)
- Frankfurt City Hall (Romer)
- Römerberg Square
- Frankfurt Cathedral (Frankfurter Dom)
- Iron Bridge (Eiserner Steg)
- German Film Museum (Deutsches Filmmuseum)
- Städel Museum (Städelsches Kunstinstitut und Städtische Galerie)