Sayaxché Tours and Activities
Sayaxché is a small frontier town southwest of Flores on the Río de la Pasión that acts as a central hub for the many Mayan ruins of the area—the most notable of which are Ceibal and Aguateca. Though for most a visit to this river town is a means of getting to the archeological sites, Sayaxché holds its own as a riverfront community full of motorboats and barges transporting people and vehicles over the water.
From here the La Pasión and Petexbatún rivers lead to the El Petén forests, which are full of sites at different stages of excavation. Venturing south from the town leads to Lago de Petexbatún, with lakeside Mayan ruins for exploring. It is also the starting point for trekking to the massive ruins of Dos Pilas.
The swamps and forests of this area have been important trade routes since Mayan times. Monkeys, birds, crocodiles, turtles and iguanas can be seen and heard throughout the jungles and shores.
Tours and Activities to Experience Sayaxché
No results found.How about something else?See all Flores tours
Questions & Answers
- Things to do in Petén
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Quetzaltenango
- Things to do in Puerto Quetzal
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands