Meknes Tours and Activities
The youngest of Morocco’s four imperial cities, Meknes makes a less-crowded alternative to nearby Fez or Rabat, and the comparative lack of tourists means you’ll be able to explore free from the chaotic pace and over-zealous vendors of its neighbors. Don’t let its lesser fame stop you from visiting though—Meknes’ striking landscape of palaces, gardens and mosques is well deserving of its UNESCO World Heritage status.
Start your tour at the Place el-Hadim, the lively central square that fronts the grand city walls, and then explore the walled medina, with its winding souks and array of architectural gems. Sultan Moulay Ismail erected many of the city’s most impressive buildings and his most fanciful designs include the monumental gate of Bab Mansour, the Koubba el Khayatine Ambassador’s Hall and the Heri el Souani stables. The opulent Tomb of Moulay Ismail is another fitting tribute to his legacy, while additional attractions of Meknes include the Museum of Moroccan Arts, the ornate Grand Mosque and the Madrassa Bou Inania.
Tours and Activities to Experience Meknes
Frequently Asked Questions
- Small-Group Full-Day Meknes and Volubilis Tour from Fez
- 10-day private tour: The Sahara Desert and Imperial Cities. Any starting point.
- Day trip from Fes to Volubilis Moulay Idriss & Meknes
- A Wonderful Private Day Trip to Volubilis, Moulay Driss Zarhoun, Meknès from Fez
- Things to do in Northern Morocco
- Things to do in Chefchaouen
- Things to do in Rabat
- Things to do in Tetouan
- Things to do in Tangier
- Things to do in Tarifa
- Things to do in Casablanca
- Things to do in Marbella
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Marrakech
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Costa del Sol
- Things to do in Morocco Sahara