Edinburgh Dungeon Tours
Read MoreShow Less
The chilling Edinburgh Dungeon takes visitors below street level and into the darkened bowels of the city. Here, among 360-degree sets, costumed actors recount gruesome tales from Scotland’s past, from the Burke and Hare murders to hangings at the Grassmarket. Special effects, two thrilling rides, and a disorientating mirror maze add to the fun.
Visitors can either purchase tickets at the door or pre-purchase priority entrance tickets, which allow them to jump the line and enjoy fast-track entry to the dungeon. Once inside, costumed actors guide participants as they make their way through the spooky sets, and onto the rides. The experience typically lasts for about 80 minutes.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Edinburgh Dungeon is a thrilling way to get acquainted with the more macabre chapters of the city’s history.
- The subterranean dungeon, which can be scary for young kids, is recommended for those age eight and older. Children under 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
- The dim lighting and narrow passageways make it unsuitable for claustrophobes.
- Most areas of the dungeon are accessible to wheelchair users via lifts. The boat ride, however, is not, and the Drop Dead ride is only accessible to those who can transfer to the seats unaided and adequately brace themselves against the motion.
How to Get There
Edinburgh Dungeon is situated in the heart of the Old Town, within easy walking distance of the Royal Mile, Edinburgh Castle, North Bridge, and Princes Street. Take the train to Edinburgh Waverley and make the 2-minute walk from there to the entrance on Market Street.
When to Get There
Edinburgh Dungeon is popular attraction; long lines form during vacation periods, such as summer breaks, Halloween, and Easter. To save yourself the hassle of waiting, book a skip-the-line ticket in advance.
The Dungeon’s Thrilling Rides
Included as part of the Edinburgh Dungeon experience are two optional theatrical rides. First, there’s the 5-minute Boat Ride, which carries you down a river to the Caves of Galloway to the cannibal Sawney Bean. Then there’s Drop Dead, an exhilarating ride that recreates the sensation of a vertical free fall.
Address: 31 Market Street, Edinburgh EH1 1QB, Scotland
1 Tours and Activities to Experience Edinburgh Dungeon
Make sure you see all the spots you wanted to in Edinburgh on this personalized tour led by a private guide. Your customized itinerary takes you to the places you request, and your guide's commentary is based on your interests. You can go to famous locations, such as Edinburgh Castle to see Scotland’s crown jewels, or you can choose to go to areas known only by locals.
Price varies by group size
Price varies by group size
Face masks required for travelers in public areas
Face masks required for guides in public areas
Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
Frequently Asked Questions
What's the best way to experience Edinburgh Dungeon?
The best ways to experience Edinburgh Dungeon are:See all Edinburgh Dungeon experiences on Viator.
Things to do near Edinburgh
- Things to do in Stirling
- Things to do in Glasgow
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Inverness
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Belfast
- Things to do in York
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in Westport
- Things to do in North East England
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in North West England