Things to Do in Dingle
- Though Dingle is part of an Irish-speaking area known as a Gaeltacht, English is widely spoken.
- Like most of County Kerry and Ireland as a whole, Dingle’s weather can be unpredictable, so rain gear is a must.
- Book a boat tour from Dingle during summer and you might spot killer whales, minke whales, or even humpback whales, all in addition to several species of dolphin.
Gallarus Oratory is Ireland's best preserved early Christian church. The exact year of its construction is not known, but it is believed to be more than a thousand years old. The church is located five miles from Dingle Town on the Dingle Peninsula in southwestern Ireland. It was constructed entirely from dry stone masonry and resembles an overturned boat. This church is one of the highlights of the scenic Slea Head Drive. Along the scenic drive, visitors will also see views of Smerwick Harbor, the Three Sisters and Mount Brandon.
Visitors will be able to see a church that has not been restored because it hasn't needed to be. The stones were carefully fitted together without the use of mortar, and aside from a small sag in the roof, the construction has held up for centuries. You can enter the oratory through a 6.5 foot doorway, and there are two stones with holes that once held a door.
Things to do near Dingle
- Things to do in South West Ireland
- Things to do in Tralee
- Things to do in Ring of Kerry
- Things to do in Killarney
- Things to do in Kenmare
- Things to do in Shannon
- Things to do in Cork
- Things to do in Limerick
- Things to do in Galway
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in Belfast
- Things to do in Cardiff
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Western Ireland
- Things to do in West Midlands