Gallarus Oratory is Ireland's best preserved early Christian church. The exact year of its construction is not known, but it is believed to be more than a thousand years old. The church is located five miles from Dingle Town on the Dingle Peninsula in southwestern Ireland. It was constructed entirely from dry stone masonry and resembles an overturned boat. This church is one of the highlights of the scenic Slea Head Drive. Along the scenic drive, visitors will also see views of Smerwick Harbor, the Three Sisters and Mount Brandon.
Visitors will be able to see a church that has not been restored because it hasn't needed to be. The stones were carefully fitted together without the use of mortar, and aside from a small sag in the roof, the construction has held up for centuries. You can enter the oratory through a 6.5 foot doorway, and there are two stones with holes that once held a door. The nearby visitor center shows a 15 minute audio-visual presentation about the Gallarus Oratory, and there is a gift shop.
Should I book Gallarus Oratory tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Gallarus Oratory 2020?
What's the best way to experience Gallarus Oratory?
- Dingle Peninsula Tour from Dingle with wifi on board
- Dingle Peninsula and Slea Head Half-Day Small-Group Tour
- 4 Hour Slea Head Drive Tour - Personal Chauffeur Guided Tour
- Full Day Slea Head Drive Tour - Personal Chauffeur Guided Tour
Things to do near Dingle
- Things to do in South West Ireland
- Things to do in Ring of Kerry
- Things to do in Killarney
- Things to do in Kenmare
- Things to do in Shannon
- Things to do in Cork
- Things to do in Limerick
- Things to do in Cobh
- Things to do in Galway
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in Belfast
- Things to do in Cardiff
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Western Ireland
- Things to do in West Midlands