Tiradentes Square (Praça Tiradentes) Tours and Activities
Arguably the most important square in Curitiba, Tiradentes Square (Praça Tiradentes) is home to many of the city’s well-known sites, including the Metropolitan Cathedral and Basilica Minor of Our Lady of Light. Among the trees and statues in the square, visitors can walk over a glass-protected piece of the square’s original pavement, constructed in the first half of the 19th century. Thanks to the special lighting within the glass flooring, the spot is especially beautiful come nightfall.
The Cross of Christ and a historic monolith can also be found in the center of Praca Tiradentes. The former was a symbol of the Military Order of the Christ, instituted by King Denis of Portugal in the 14th century, and represented the legal power of Portugal over the land and the settlement of Curitiba in 1693. According to legend the spot also marks the place where Indigenous Chief Tindiquera of the Tingui Tribe once chose to settle his people.
Tours and Activities to Experience Tiradentes Square (Praça Tiradentes)
- Curitiba Botanical Garden (Jardim Botanico)
- Oscar Niemeyer Museum (Museu Oscar Niemeyer)
- Santos Andrade Square (Praça Santos Andrade)
- Pope's Woods and Polish Immigration Memorial (Bosque Joao Paulo II)
- Free University of the Environment (UNILIVRE)
- Federal University of Paraná (UFPR)
- Tanguá Park (Parque Tanguá)
- Tiradentes Square (Praça Tiradentes)