Arena da Baixada
Home to the renowned Atlético Paranaense soccer team, Arena da Baixada—also known as Estádio Atlético Paranaense—is located in Curitiba, the state capital of Paraná. The first football match was played here in 1914, making this stadium an important part of Brazil’s world-renowned football legacy.
If you’re not visiting on a match day, you can enjoy access to parts of the stadium that are usually restricted during a guided tour, which is included as part of a standard admission ticket. Walking tours of the 45,000-capacity stadium—which boasts the only retractable roof in South America—take you to the players’ changing rooms and the VIP boxes. To avoid disappointment, book your admission ticket in advance and choose from several daily time slots to suit you.
Things to Know Before You Go
Arena da Baixada is a must-visit for soccer fans in Curitiba.
Students, seniors, and visitors with disabilities benefit from discounted entry to the stadium.
There’s an official Atlético Paranaense store at the stadium, where you can buy soccer shirts and other memorabilia.
How to Get There
Arena da Baixada is located in central Curitiba, which has frequent connections to São Paulo from its bus terminal. From Avenida Sete de Setembro, one of the city’s principal avenues, the stadium is 5–10 minutes on foot.
When to Get There
During the Brazilian soccer season, which runs between April and December, tickets for matches are available to purchase in advance or on game day. Tours run on days when there are no matches.
Things to Do in Curitiba
As well as Arena da Baixada, the city of Curitiba has a wealth of attractions. Highlights include the botanical garden and the Oscar Niemeyer Museum, which is dedicated to the Brazilian architect and resembles an enormous eye. Popular day-trip options include the quaint town of Morretes and Ilha do Mel (Island of Honey), known for its deserted beaches.
- Tiradentes Square (Praça Tiradentes)
- Palace of Liberty Cultural Center (Paco da Liberdade Cultural Centre)
- Curitiba Cathedral (Catedral Basílica Menor Nossa Senhora)
- Federal University of Paraná (UFPR)
- Passeio Público
- Santos Andrade Square (Praça Santos Andrade)
- Curitiba Botanical Garden (Jardim Botanico)
- Oscar Niemeyer Museum (Museu Oscar Niemeyer)
- Pope's Woods and Polish Immigration Memorial (Bosque Joao Paulo II)
- Free University of the Environment (UNILIVRE)
- Curitiba Garibaldi Square (Praça Garibaldi)
- Wire Opera House (Opera de Arame)
- Tanguá Park (Parque Tanguá)